•26•

Telling your mom that you were sick again made her nervous.

"Are you sure you don't want to go to the doctor? This might be a flare up or something." she had said, standing next to your desk as you worked on your computer.

"Yes I'm sure," you rolled your eyes, covering it up by blowing your nose into a tissue, "It's just a cold. I'll be going back to normal tomorrow."

You refrained from mentioning how you had vomited the first day. It was probably unrelated.

Your mother looked unconvinced, fiddling with the rings on her left hand. When you failed to acknowledge her nerves, she sighed to get your attention.

"I just don't like it. After everything thats happened lately- and exams are coming up, aren't they? You've been through a lot."

"Yeah." you replied, pursing your lips, trying your hardest to refrain from emotion as you scrolled down the page. It was hurting your eyes, but that pain was preferable to the pain of this conversation you were having.

"I can take it though. Just gotta push through."

Your mother sighed again and put her hand on your head. You flinched, jerking forward, and she frowned.

"Sorry." she put her hand on your head again, and you put up with her scratching your scalp for all of three seconds before grabbing her wrist.

"Please don't." you said. She frowned again, deeper.

"Why can't I touch you?"

You gritted your teeth.

"I'm sick and not feeling good right now mom. Why wouldn't I want you to touch me?"

"Okay, that's rude." she crossed her arms, leaning over to take your attention away from the screen. You bit back a definitely rude reply and shut your laptop.

"I'm sorry," you said, struggling to get the words out, "I'm tired and cranky. Can I give you a hug instead? And then take a nap?"

You stood up as your mom nodded her head, wrapping your arms around her and dealing with the hug, counting to ten in your head before pulling back.

"Thank you for caring for me."

A soft look crossed her face.

"Of course, I love you honey." she let you go, and as you laid on the bed she left and shut the door.

When she was gone, you pulled the long sleeve of your (backup pyjama) shirt up to look at the bruises there. They had fully blossomed into purple and red alongside the rest of the ones across your body. Man, you must have gotten into a fight with the forest or something.

You let your arm fall and turned over.

-

At the end of the first class of the morning, your professor asked you to stay behind for a moment.

"Oh," you exclaimed, already halfway to the door, " Yeah, sure."

You stopped in your tracks and retraced your path, stopping in front of their desk. They laced their fingers together.

"So I'm going to be a little annoying here, are you okay?"

You blinked twice.

"Um yeah? Why wouldn't I be?"

As they took a breath to speak again, you quickly realized what it was about.

"I graded your project, the one you submitted a week ago."