•17•

Content warning: hospital visit, moderate description of injuries

Disclaimer: The characters actions in this instance are guided for the story and I do not recommend staying silent about assault.

The hospital was not a place you liked to spend time in. The quiet and muted sounds of the building unnerved you, and the sterile environment just felt wrong. It was a place that tended to the sick and dying, and the atmosphere reflected that fact. However, it was the place you needed to go to address your injuries.

You were not the one to get yourself down to the ER unit – your head felt like it was full of cotton, limbs heavy and thoughts scattered. You were barely able to keep your eyes open, much less conduct yourself well enough to drive a car. Instead, it was your mother that drove, face pale and lips thin. She had composed herself quickly after finding you collapsed on the landing, getting you to clumsily put on a winter coat and bundle you into the car. Despite this eery calm she kept glancing over to you in the passenger's seat as if you would keel over right there in the car.

To be fair, it definitely felt like you could. Pain lanced up and down your body in so many places that it muddled into one big pain, clouding your already fuzzy mind. If you were just a little less lucid and someone told you that you had been hit by a truck, you would have believed them. If you were honest, that would have been the preferred to the truth.

It took all you had during the drive to simply sit in your seat, head pressed into the head rest, rather than cry out in pain from every bump in the road.

Registration to the ER was quick, thankfully. With it being after midnight there was only four other people waiting to be seen. Your mother took care of the paperwork and registration, allowing you to sit down on a chair beside her and rest, handing you tissues when your nose began to drip like a faucet.

The lobby nurse came up to you within minutes. She was wearing a white shirt and brown pants with her hair tied up in a bun, a clipboard in her hands. Her eyes flickered from your mom to you, and then down to your feet. Her eyebrows raised slightly at your costume and the state you were in, but otherwise stayed very professional.

"So, on your sheet here it says that you came home and collapsed on the landing. Can you tell me the nature of this event?"

You pulled the tissues away from your nose and cleared your throat, speaking for the first time in an hour.

"I was assaulted at a party in the woods. By three men." you croaked.

"Okay..." she scribbled something on her clipboard.

"Only physically," you added, "not... Not sexually. Or anything." you added, feeling embarrassed from the awkwardness of your statement (despite it being true). The nurse nodded and wrote some more. In the corner of your eye, you noticed your mother's shoulder dip slightly in relief.

"-And the acuity of your injuries from one to five?"

"Um..." you shifted in your seat and then cringed, pain prickling up your spine. You crumpled the tissues up in a fist.

"Three. Maybe four."

"Three to four." the nurse repeated, writing that onto the paper. She paused, looked at you again, and then flipped the top piece of paper.

"We actually have an examination room open right now. If you'd like we can set you up in there until another nurse practitioner can see you. There's an exam table you can rest on."

"Please." your mother spoke up, placing a gentle hand on your arm. You agreed, sniffling.

"The room is this way, follow me."