•8•

The gap day ended up being a super productive one.

You didn't made any headway in regards to homework, but you were able to clean up the week's mess in your room and tidy up the top of your dresser and your desk. Upon thinking about it, you also did a load of laundry and ran the dishwasher, all the while reading through one of your favourite book series. You had some leftovers for lunch, and retired to your room an hour before your mother got home.

Supper was a quick affair: mom heated up some soup and brought it to your room, you ate it and then spent the rest of the night left alone, scrolling through social media on your phone until you fell asleep.

After a day, the nightmare was nothing but a faint memory, the details disappearing like cotton candy in water. Your sleep was normal, dreams returning to their regularly scheduled programs. Things returned to the way they were.

You refused to think about the new addition to your skin.

Three days passed in which you went to work, went to class, talked to Cathy, and did your homework, all as usual. What ended up being a deviation from the norm was your mom requesting a walk with you. She had arrived early from work - as she sometimes did when labour was high - and had allowed you to go to your room for a short while before appearing again.

With a happy energy she had leaned in from your door frame and said,

"Hey, do you want to go on a walk with me?"

You were at your desk, working on an essay, and swivelled your chair to face her.

"What? Now?" you looked to your pyjamas, which you were wearing, and up back to your mother.

"Yes, it's only six in the evening. You've been working for a while today, I think you need a break."

You sighed but complied, saving your file before closing your laptop and throwing on a proper outfit for walking - which meant you just put on a proper pair of pants and covered your pyjama shirt with a coat.

It was cool outside, the heat from the sun already leeching from the earth as the aforementioned star rested just behind the treetops. The sky was light blue, yellows and oranges mingling above you as you stepped out onto the stairs, waiting patiently as your mom locked the door..

"We'll take the shorter walk, alright?" she said to you. You shrugged your shoulders, not particularly invested in the walk.

"Sure, sounds good. It's only about a half hour, right?"

Your mother chuckled at your impatient tone.

"Yes, it'll leave you plenty of time to finish your work."

You rolled your eyes as you matched her stride.

"I got the hardworking quality from you, you know that right?" you shot back at her as the two of you left the driveway, the gravel sidewalk crunching under your feet.

The songs of late evening birds drifted out in the air and you breathed in deeply, savouring the crisp coolness. Okay, maybe you had been cooped up inside for too long. When was the last time you had gone out and took some photos of nature? Oh, yeah. Right. The last time was when you had... Yeah. Maybe the two of you shouldn't be walking right now? Because of the coyotes? Wait, no, your mom was smart, she probably knew what time coyotes were active. Though they were nocturnal...

Oh, you've been quiet for a bit too long. Better say something so it isn't too awkward.

"So how's work been?" you asked her. She hummed noncommittally, absently stuffing her hands in her coat pockets.