Piper

Something is going to go horribly wrong today. I can feel it. My friends might say I'm superstitious or paranoid, but since I woke up, something has kept me mysteriously on edge. 

 "Hey, Pipes!" A familiar blond said. I smiled, "What up, Annie?" Annabeth looked up with her startling grey eyes. "You okay?" I asked. Annabeth shrugged then said, "Yeah. I just feel like I could fall asleep right now."

 "I know what you mean, I thought I would pass out waiting for you. Other than that, are you ready for school today?" I asked as we turned on 22nd. 

 Annabeth looked a bit uncomfortable and I had a feeling why; Percy. "Boy troubles?" I asked, barely containing a smirk on my face. Annabeth hesitated. "Yeah, it's just... I don't know. I don't like him, but I can't stop thinking about him and it's driving me crazy!" She forcefully pulled her backpack over her shoulder as we passed a coffee shop. 

 I gave her a sympathetic hug. "Well, don't punch me Annabeth, but maybe you do like him. After all, I am pretty sure he likes you," I said, bumping her arm playfully. Percy and Annabeth are head-over-heels for each other and don't even know it yet. "Maybe we shouldn't think about that. Still, it's way too cold to do anything except try to stay warm. It's November, afterall," I replied, trying to ease her away from the subject of Percy. 

 "We have arrived!" I said dramatically, swinging my arm towards the towering brick walls of Goode. Annabeth had to smile at that. Her cheeks turned a cute color of rose and she laughed, finally getting in a better mood. "Warmth, here I come!" She said, running a couple of steps before stopping and waiting for me to catch up. I laughed, with Annabeth joining in. We used to joke like that all of the time, but it feels good to have our childhood humor back. Even if it is only for a bit.  

 Annabeth moved a strand of her curly hair out of her face, and I looked at her outfit. She was wearing a grey sweatshirt top with worn-out blue jeans and black Nikes, all tied together with a white scarf around her neck. "You look cute," I said as a freshman held open the door for us. Annabeth muttered a thanks to the freshman and looked at my clothes. "You do too, Pipes!" She said, heading towards her locker. I was about to reply when I glanced towards my locker and my words caught in my throat. 

 Standing by my locker, was none other that my arch enemy, Drew, talking to Jason. I grit my teeth and looked at Annabeth helplessly. She followed my gaze and her eyes hardened. Drew was leaning against my locker and giggling at something Jason had just said. Deciding I've had enough, I stood up and took a step towards them. Before I got any farther, Drew leaned over and kissed him, long and hard. After a few seconds, she let go and walked off. Annabeth came over and gave my shoulder a squeeze, letting me know that she as here for me.

 Fighting the tears that were gathering in my eyes, I walked towards my locker and began entering my combination. I gave Jason absolutely none of my attention as I collected my History and English books, and heard a voice. "Piper?" Jason said. I ignored him and checked my planner for any upcoming tests as quick as I could.

 "Piper," He said again. I gave him a pointed look., "What Jason? What do you want?" I said sharper than I intended. "Just wanted to see if you were okay," He replied, giving me a concerned look. His pale yellow hair had just gotten cut and the scar above his lip was trembling slightly.

 I slammed my locker shut. "I'm fine," I said, picking my back pack up. I knew I was being slightly overdramatic, but I didn't care. He kissed one of the very people I despise and then didn't mention it. "Are you- are you sure?" Jason asked, his voice wavering slightly. I looked him dead in the eye, "Yes. And don't bother talking to me again. Drew wouldn't like that." I brushed past his shoulder and walked off, tears rolling down my face.