CHAPTER XV: First Act

"I'll come back to you. I promise."

Again my mother's promise rang in my ears as I charged through the forest, bow and arrow in hand.

It had been nine years since I watched my mother desert me in pursuit of some madman seeking to destroy us.

Ever since that fateful day which pivoted my world upside down, I had been immediately thrust into survival mode.

In Valkayda, you cannot rely on other people to coddle you just because you suddenly become an orphan.

This may seem cruel, but it's what makes our tribe so mighty.

We must all know how to provide for ourselves, no matter how young.

We rely on each other, yes; but not like this. Every Valkaydan knows to give someone space when they are going through something, so that when you come out of it, you won't need anyone, and you can fully rely on yourself.

Which is what I was doing. Today, I was hunting!

I crept through the pine-filled forest, my head on a swivel, my arrow placed on my bow string, and the adrenaline flowing through my veins.

If I didn't catch something today, I would starve. I hadn't eaten in the past three days, and I was determined to avoid another day of fasting which is what it would be if I didn't find something, anything, to eat.

I slowed to a stop, and crouched in the long, vibrant green grass. It hid me perfectly.

Here I would wait to ensure that my life would be prolonged for yet another day.

A kill could last me at least four days. Not to mentioned whatever I caught in my snares I set up in the forest a day ago.

I patiently waited for what seemed to be an eternity.

I internally begged my stomach to stop it's boisterous growling, in fear that it would scare away my prey.

Then I heard it.

It was off in the distance, but I heard it.

It was the snapping of a twig.

I know this seems insignificant, but for me it was as good as the ringing of the dinner bell.

My prey was near, and it would soon become my meal.

I slowly crawled on my hands and knees, using the grass to cover my slender body as I made my way towards the unsuspecting animal.

My unsuspecting prey had stopped by a nearby pond for a drink.

It's a Turkey! I inwardly rejoiced. It's now or never.

I slowly but surely pulled back my arrow, trying to make the least friction between it and the bow; that would only make more noise.

I didn't want to scare off my breakfast.

He must have smelled me, because he suddenly stopped drinking.

Thor, I gotta take a bath. I internally reminded myself.

It was about to bolt, but I wasn't going to let my key to survival get away that easily.

I expediently loosed my arrow from the grip of my nimble fingers, and let it fly.

It was a bullseye.