CHAPTER XLVII: United

Peaking my head out of the small wooden hut I'd fashioned for Amber and I, gleaming sparkles from the freshly fallen snow greeted me in the morning sun. Eagerly, I threw on my bear fur coat, stepped out and breathed in the crisp winter air. I had caught the bear rummaging through my stash of smoked fish. Needless to say, it was the last time I ever had that problem. Stomping my way through the snow, I made my way to the back of the hut where my smokehouse continued to billow gray clouds from its chimney. Grunting as I tugged on the handle with all my strength, I yanked the door open and stood back until the smoke cleared. As soon as it did, I took handfuls of snow to douse the slow-burning flames beneath the bear meat. My fish thief had served me two purposes.

   A gush of wind announced Amber's arrival. She must have just come back from grabbing breakfast in the seas, which surrounded the remote island we now called home. Enthusiastically, I trudged through the snow to greet her. Happy sounds escaped Amber's mouth as she bobbed her head up and down in excitement.

"Good morning!" I embraced her, rubbing my nimble fingers across her scaly neck, which shimmered in the sunlight. My hand hovered over a small scar behind her jaw as I remembered the day I'd finally got her back. It was the happiest day of my life. Even now, I still couldn't believe that was almost a year ago. Time seemed to pass so quickly on this island. Finally, I had found happiness. I could barely even feel that small gap in my soul now. It was like I no longer needed to search for my brother to fill it. Every now and then, especially at night, I would still notice its presence, but, for the most part, I was truly content. What we had on the island was a simple way of living, but fulfilling in every way. I didn't have to fight anymore. I was at peace.

I did miss Heather sometimes, though. She was the only friend I'd had that didn't betray me since Vivian and Threk. She'd gone her own way though, and I'd like to believe that she found happiness too. I hoped she found vengeance for what Dagur had done to her village that I never found for mine. To be perfectly honest, I'd somewhat given up on vengeance. Even as a child, I always had a constant thirst for giving those who wronged me what they deserved. Now, it seemed trivial to me. After all, I was alive. Especially considering all that I've been through, I'd finally realized that my life was enough. Everyone else who hurt me could wallow in their bitterness for all I cared. They were no longer my concern.

Today was the end of the week; market day. It is also the day I would trade furs and meat with a local Viking, Fergus, for information about the outside world. I rarely left my island aside from a joy flight with Amber once and a while, so fresh news was a treat. I never inquired of Hiccup directly, but would keep an ear open for any news of my elusive brother. Fergus and I became good enough friends that I finally divulged to him my origins on Valkayda. Not much else, though.

"Good morning, Fergus." I greeted as I handed him a stack of smoked bear meat, wrapped in parchment.

"This is a lot." The young Viking observed.

"It was a lucky find."

"I was hoping you'd come today, because I have some important news for you that I just received last night."

I was already intrigued. My eyes begged Fergus to tell me more.

"You know that island you said you were from, Valkan or Valkade, or something?"

"Valkayda?" I corrected.

"Yeah, that's the one. Okay, one, apparently most of the islanders survived that attack that all of the dragon hunter folk were talking about a while ago. They escaped through some tunnel system. Most of them don't live on the island anymore, though. They ended up staying on a new island because it had more room for other dragons and what not. There was one person that stayed though. Apparently her name's Valka."