chapter twenty

I decided to call sufyan and tell him the good news,the phone rang twice before he finally picked up.
"Hello I've been calling you since no response"I said when he picked up

"sorry I was asleep"he said ,his voice sounding hoarse

"So after yesterday's interrogation baba has agreed and he said I should inform you that if you're ready you should come with your elders"

"Wow Alhamdullilah,okay I'll inform my uncle and mom,whatever we decide on I'll call you back"

"alright then bye"i ended the call smiling

*knock knock*

I was about to sleep when I heard my aunt's voice,aunty hauwa I wanted to pretend to be asleep before I could know she barged into my room.anty hauwa is my dad's younger sister.that woman us the queen of nagging and sabi sabi.

"San dazuwa anty hauwa" i said while trying to get down from the bed she sat on the edge of my bed puting all her weight on it i watched as the bed sank inside when she sat down

"Yauwa faiza,yakike? She asked

"i'm fine ma"i said faking a smile

" look at how you're just getting fat" she looked at me from head to toe,i mentally rolled my eyes,so am i supposed to be getting slim" i mummred

The rest of the day was the worst,questions upon questions coming from her,the whole house just felt suffocating.I couldn't wait for her to leave.
I came into the living room to bring her meal for her on a tray,I dropped the tray on the table I was about to leave when anty hauwa called me back

"faiza can't you serve me the food"she said looking annoyed

" sorry,was the only thing that came out of my mouth,as I served her

"These children of nowadays be acting like u weren't taught manners"she hissed out

I just thought to myself,this woman has started again i felt like throwning the hot soup in the cooler directly on her face to shut her up,I pretended as if she didn't say anything I served the food and went to my room banging the door at her.I wish I saw her facial reaction when I did that.later on I tip toed out of my room to the kitchen so anty hauwa won't see me,luckily for me she had gone with all her wahala.

🌻🌻🌻
Sufyan would be coming with his elders today,preparations were made we made jollof rice,coleslaw,small chops and juice.I was waiting anxiously in my room when I heard a horn immediately my heart started racing.I peeped from my window and I saw 3 elderly men dressed in neatly ironed kaftans coming I roamed my eyes looking for sufyan until I sighted him coming also dressed in a navy blue kaftan with a black cap on his head,I noticed he wasn't using his walking stick again and I was happy that his leg was healed.
I leaned my head on my door to be able to hear what they were discussing but all I could hear was the sound of clattering plates and faint conversation,until I heard my dad call for my mom asking her to bring me out immediately I ran back and sat down pretending as if I heard nothing.

"Fa'i you're attention is needed now"my mom said as she pushed my door open gently I repaired my veil one more time and took my mom's hand in mine.we got to the living room and I squatted to greet the men sitting there.

"Ina wuni" I greeted

"Lafiya lau ya ta tashi tashi ki zauna"  One of the elderly men answered

I sat down on the sofa opposite sufyan,a lot of questions were asked and all I did was to nod my head gently,finally I was asked if he's the one I want to marry and I nodded my head again this time I raised my head up to look and my eyes were locked with his,he winked at me playfully and diverted his gaze,I smiled to myself and stood up to leave,as I was leaving I heard them talking about the date that would be fixed for the wedding.
After everyone had left i went to the kitchen to help my mom with the dishes i met halima there already rinsing the plates in the sink,I leaned by the entrance with my arms folded looking at them until my mom realized I was there all along..

"fa'i I thought you were asleep"she asked

"Kai mommy ni kenan kullun barci barci"

" Tohh I know how you like sleep now,lazy girl"she teased

"ya faiza so you'll marry now and leave me"halima spoke looking as if she was going to cry

"hey hey baby na don't cry"i said as I went over to console her while she rested her head on my shoulder

"I'll be very lonely,if you marry I'll follow you" she sniffed

"don't worry I'll be coming time to time and one day you'll follow me" I told her as i wiped the little tear from my eyes.My mom just watched as we did our little drama,I remembered when ya zainab was getting married also I cried heaven and earth especially when she was taken to her husband's house,I also felt lonely but with time I got used to it.we finished with the dishes and prepared dinner we all sat and ate in silence.
🌻🌻🌻

Months had passed and it seemed like it's been a year since salma got married,I was already missing her it's been forever since I spoke to her on phone,I had just finished saying my prayers and still sitting on the prayer mat I grabbed my phone from the dresser and called her line.

"assalamualaikum"she answered calmly

"su amarsu ta ango har an manta da mu?" i said jokingly

"babe Wallahi,I've been very busy i had the intention of calling you but it slipped my mind"

"no problem,I was only joking I know you'd be busy,so I have good news"i said biting my nail

"oohh okay,what?"she asked anxiously

"I'll soon be getting married"i yelled on the phone

"Oh my God,oh my God mashaAllah"she squealed excitedly,I gisted her about everything and we spent an hour and a half on phone,my ears had started getting hot already,salma had to go to prepare lunch for her husband,we finally ended the call and we both went on with our various activities..

Don't forget to vote,comment and share..Thank you❤😊