10 - Heavy slabs and heavier panic.

Dad and Sadie sat Madden and I down before we were allowed to strap up and paddle out at Banzai Pipeline. Even though it was too early in the season and didn't really resemble the heavy slabs we've seen in competitions in the Hawaiian winters, it was still pumping by Australian standards, and Sadie in particular was in high-anxiety mode worrying about Madden and I wiping out.

"If you're second guessing it, pull out. I don't want you hesitating and having it land on your head and us not being able to find you. That's how people die," she said, staring at Madden and I so intently I was scared to look away.

"You're so dramatic when you get anxious about things," said Madden, dismissing her worries. "We'll be fine."

"I'd be a little less dramatic if I didn't know you two and your daredevil ways. I swear, sometimes I feel like you do things just to get this reaction from me," she said.

"Sometimes, yes. We definitely do. But not now. We're solid swimmers and we know our limits, Sade. You have nothing to worry about, despite what your racing heartbeat is telling you right now," I said, tying the strap around my ankle. "Come on. The longer you sit here playing into your worries about us, the less time you'll get to enjoy just being out there with us."

I grabbed her hand and started pulling her towards the ocean, which was begging me forward. She huffed and let go, picking up her board and walking alongside me. "I hate that you make so much sense."

"I have good teachers," I said, looking over at Dad checking Madden's leg rope was strapped correctly. "Not Tann. He was a horrible teacher. But Dad's pretty wise."

"I'll tell him you said that when I speak to him next," Dad laughed when he and Madden caught up with us as our toes sunk into the warm water. "No risky shit, Jetty. Please be careful," he cautioned again very seriously.

I kept my promise, as did Madden, surprisingly, considering he was far more likely to go rogue than I was. The one who didn't heed their warning, however, was Sadie, wiping out trying to pull into a small barrel and getting caught with a whole set landing on her head over and over.

We were pulling her out as soon as we could, Dad practically carrying her in his arms while I carried her board that he had untied, watching to make sure Madden made it in to shore okay just behind us.

"Breathe, baby," said Dad, caressing her cheek as she sat terrified on the shore, bordering on hyperventilation. "Just follow my breaths, okay? In . . . " he held his own breath and puffed out his chest, " . . . and out."

He repeated this over and over until she got control of her own breathing again. Madden had paddled furiously to get back to us, and was now hovering behind me watching Dad calm Sadie down. I was so fixated on knowing she was okay that I didn't even think to check on Madden once he was out of the water, and pulled him in close beside me when I finally realised he was in tears just watching her.

"She's okay, Madd. Nothing to worry about," I said, having complete faith in Dad's ability to soothe Sadie. Nothing was more effective at doing that than he was.

Madden sniffled underneath me and I leant my head on top of his, trying to give him the same calm Dad was able to provide Sadie, who was now glued to Dad's bare chest, her eyes closed and her breathing finally sounding normal again.

"I've got you, Sade. You're okay, babe," Dad said as he stroked the back of her head, looking back at us. "The boys are here with you, and we're all okay."

Mention of Madden and I snapped Sadie out of her shock, and her eyes were immediately searching for us around her, her chest heaving greatly when she finally sighted us standing together watching her.