16 - Perhaps in another life.

The helicopter ride was amazing, so long as I didn't think about the volcano fumes and gases rising and leaking into the small cabin as we flew overhead. I assume it must have been somewhat airtight, being a plane-type thing and all, but that didn't quell my worries any. Nothing seemed to when it came to my pregnant mother and my baby brother, or sister, though I am hoping for a boy. I know boys and what to do with them. With girls I'd be going in blind, and protective. Perhaps too protective if the way I was with Madden was anything to go by. I'd just about murder anyone that hurt him. I can't imagine how much worse I'd be if my baby sister came home heartbroken one day.

When we made it back to Oahu after Maui and the Big Island, consensus was that we would head back up to the North Shore for a few days before our flight home. Seems like everyone liked it up there best, including myself, though I had to argue repeatedly that it had nothing to do with seeing Lahela again. Dad wasn't convinced, Sadie intrigued, and Madden oblivious. He's already been tormented with enough sex stories this trip. I didn't need to make it any worse for him by adding myself into the discussion, too. Poor kid would be mortified.

I hadn't seen Lahela again after we hooked up. I'd managed to steer my family clear of the smoothie shack on the beach the whole time we stayed up on the North Shore. But our latest Airbnb, which we booked last minute the night before we returned to Oahu, was much closer to that particular stretch of ocean than where we stayed previously, and it was a lot harder to keep Sadie away from the smoothie bar, especially after she had fully embraced her blended fruit and coconut water cravings.

The four of us strolled up to the smoothie shack carrying our surfboards under our arms after our most recent session on the water, me lingering behind like the shy coward I had apparently turned into.

"Jet, which one do you want?" yelled Madden, looking back at me over his shoulder while I slunk behind them, trying to avoid being seen by the gorgeous brunette I know nothing about but have had sex with who was serving them. Unsuccessfully.

"Choc-banana protein smoothie. Vegan," Lahela chimed, looking over my family's heads to smirk at me. "Isn't that right, Jet?"

This is just great.

"Hey, Lahela. How's it going?" I said, smiling up at her to avoid the questioning glances of my parents and brother.

"Would be better if I was in your shoes instead of having to work. You didn't mention the other week that you surf?" she queried.

"Yeah, was a little too busy to mention it the last time I saw you, surprisingly enough," I said, trying not to blush any deeper.

Lahela laughed knowingly, before smiling innocently at my parents. "I'm Lahela. I met your son a few weeks ago."

"So we heard," Sadie smiled at her, reaching back to pinch me at the ribs, just in case I missed the fact that the girl I randomly slept with a few weeks ago was here in front of me again. "Nice to meet you, Lahela. What a beautiful name."

"Thank you," Lahela smiled, beginning to prepare our drinks. "How have you guys enjoyed the rest of your vacation?"

"It's been great! We've been surfing and hiking and snorkelling and swimming in waterfalls, and the other day we even had a helicopter ride to see volcanoes on the Big Island!" replied Madden, always the first one to spring into conversations with strangers, even if uninvited. His chatterbox ways can't help it.

"Well, that sounds like an amazing trip, cutie. I'm glad you've been able to see so much of our beautiful lands," said Lahela, smiling down at Madden, who was close to completely camouflaging into my magenta surfboard at hearing Lahela call him 'cutie.' I was kind of glad to know I wasn't the only one susceptible to her overpowering charms.