Prologue: When You Close The Doors Of Life But Windows Open Up Instead

Warning: Non-graphic suicide and dark thoughts ahead. If you're triggered by such things, feel free to skip this chapter and head onto the intro.

--

I can't breathe.

With a feeling bordering on hysteria, I ran.

Ran like my life depended on it, down the long and convoluted corridors that echoed with vicious laughter. I ran until my legs burned and charred from exhaustion, from going up the stairs that was endlessly and needlessly long.

Outside...

I heaved my entire body onto the doors that bar me from my freedom.

I need...

The chains on the doors jangle at each rough shove.

...to go out...!

I fell down along with the unhinged doors with a loud crash that was drowned out by the even louder patter of rain. The torrent of water crashed down noisily on the metal piece, as if it were a drum. I groaned as I got up, taking in the welcome feeling of nature running down my face and neck, trickling into my mouth that gasps for air.

Not enough.

I need to be free.

My legs moved on their own, staggering towards the metal fence that kept me away from I wanted. My freedom. Desperately, I clawed my way up and over it, ignoring how its flimsy stature swayed wildly at both the wind and my weight. I winced whenever metal tore through fabric and bit into skin, a thin stream of warm, sticky liquid running down my palms and feet.

But I need my freedom.

I clambered over the fence.

.

.

Here I am.

Staring at the world moving below me, the blur of blinking lights and twisting roads brimming with dotted colours of all arrays, I finally felt free.

Away.

I was so far away from the suffocating, grey city, so close to the peaceful grey sky, if I reached a hand up, I could reach it.

And if I took one more step, I could live in it.

The wind howled, the rush of air filled my ears, singing a soft and quiet lullaby.

.

I always wondered what being on edge feels like...

.

My eyes slid close to it's peaceful lull, tired and heavy.

.

It's surprisingly comforting.

My entire body was heavy.

.

.

I could just let go.

.

I should just let go.

.

No one would miss me anyway.

.

I never should have been born in this world.

.

My body and head tilts backwards, feeling the drops of water on my face.

.

I am so tired.

.

With a sigh, I opened my eyes and took one last look at this disgusting place.

.

.

.

And I let myself fall.

A wet, painful wave washed over me, followed by the overwhelming crunch of bones that filled my being, one that should have been horrifying but isn't.

Instead, I felt at peace.

This stillness is all I need.

Is that so?

I gasped, or at least I think I did. I was surprised, that's for sure. Over the pain and nothingness that I felt, there was that.

Who's there?

My head starts to ring, a blaring alarm that hit me so hard I couldn't focus on the jumble of sounds I heard.

Dear me, looks like you're going to fade any second now...

Static fills my limbs.

That doesn't sound too bad if you ask me...

But I'm not. The unknown voice quipped back haughtily. Hold on for a second...

The static is gone.

What are you doing?

I don't feel as heavy anymore.

Being an awesome God.

Why do I feel like I'm floating?

What is that supposed to mean?!

Why can I feel?

You'll see.

Aren't I supposed to be dead?

A brilliant bright light envelops me, and before I knew it, I was shoved out of whatever was keeping me stock still, dead still as far as I was concerned. Something fills my lungs, making blood rush in my ears, causing my heart to beat rapidly in my chest.

A resounding, crystal clear cry tore from my throat.

I'm alive...?

"Congratulations!" Someone said, and in the next instant I was wrapped in something soft and deposited into strong arms.

"It's a girl!"

Don't tell me...

"Lemme see her..." A sweet but weak voice slurred, and I was brought towards it. Down I went, into thinner and trembling arms. I can hear a small sigh before something soft brushed across my forehead.

"She's beautiful..."

"That she is." I could hear the smile in the deep, warm voice. Something creaked, a matress maybe, as I sank a little. "What are you going to name her, darling?"

There was a pause as the female caught her breath.

"...Camelia..."

"Fitting! Fitting!" The first voice piped up enthusiastically, clapping as he did. "She will grow up to be as beautiful as her namesake I'm sure!"

The deep, warm male voice chuckled. " Of course. She is my daughter after all..."

That was all I heard before the world faded.

Welcome to your new life.

--

Words: 786

A/N: Welcome indeed! This was kinda off to a dark start...I hope I didn't trigger anyone by accident. O.O

I have no idea what I'm doing ahaha...

If you like this, leave a comment or vote! I welcome critique and feedback too!

Thanks for reading, and have a nice day!

-X