On The World of Arraxus: Affinity & Elements

Affinity

One's ability to cast magic and control elements are based on one's Affinity to it. Affinity, in its essence, is how easily the Element comes to a person and how much of the Element one can manipulate to their will. Some bloodlines and species have special Affinity to certain Elements. There's casting time, and also the ability to Concentrate under pressure. All are affected by Affinity as well.

For example, person A has high affinity to Fire and person B has low affinity to Fire, A can cast low level Fire spells easily without much Concentration which results in low casting time, but person B had to Concentrate hard and results in high casting time.

All in all, Affinity is crucial and very important.

There are 6 levels of Affinity:

Level 0; None

Level 1; Extremely Low

Level 2; Low

Level 3; Moderate

Level 4; High

Level 5; Extremely High

Level 6; Divine (Highest Level)

XX

The Elements

The World of Arraxus heavily revolves around Elemental magic, and everyone has it. Yes, everyone. Even if your Affinity for your element is None/Level 0, you can still sense abnormalities in it, however faint. You also gain slight resistances to the ability. (E.g. Lvl 0 Affinity for Fire gives person slight fire resistance, stuff like that.)

There are 7 elements: Fire, Water, Earth, Nature, Arcane, Light and Dark.

There are ranks for the Elements as well:

Common: Fire, Water and Earth

Rare/Evolved Elements: Lightning, Ice, Minerals (From metals to crystals)

Extremely Rare: Light, Dark and Nature.

For Elves, Nature is a common Element, with 'common' Elements being the quite rare and evolved forms even rarer. Light and Dark are practically non-existent to them.

Arcane is exclusive to the Royal House Crawford. No one else has it.

The more element one has, the rarer it is. However, it is possible to have Affinity with two or more elements, but never having enough affinity to move on to its evolved form, or even have above Low Affinity, and therefore making it essentially useless.

Fire - Lightning: The best element for attacking, most devastating at mid range and close range. Long range lightning requires alot of skill. Average casting times and medium concentration (Not much at all if you have a naturally high affinity with it). Most balanced. 

Fire is weak to water. Lightning is weak to Earth.

Water - Ice: Minor heals, not as much as Light, and allows for swift movement and quick casting time. Doesn't require much concentration. Ice takes more casting time and concentration, but is versatile enough to be both defensive and offensive as long as you are creative. Most effective at mid range, semi decent at long range.

Water is weak to Lightning, Ice is weak to fire.

Earth - Minerals (Metal and Crystals): Defence, defence, and even more defence that is eventually enough to bludgeon someone to death. Defence is the best offence after all! High casting times and require high amounts of concentration.

Earth is weak to Nature, and Minerals aren't really weak to any particular element, but they require alot of concentration to remain stable. When shattered, it takes a toll on the caster's mental state. (Sudden headache sort of thing)

Nature: No evolved form, just varying casting times and concentration is needed for the degree of Nature one is manipulating, heavily reliant on one's Affinity to it.

For example, manipulating a small amount of wind and air that's just enough to move a pebble requires pretty much no concentration and a second long casting time, and everyone with just a silver of Affinity with nature can do it.

Causing storms and other natural phenomena such as earthquakes and tsunamis requires very high Affinity to Nature, but only high elves ever have that sort of blessing.

And most likely, common elves can only have such high Affinity to the natural disaster linked to its kind. E.g. Wood Elves can cause earthquakes or grow a ton of trees, Water elves/Undines can cause tsunamis and Air Elves can cause tornadoes. Stuff like that.

Not particularly weak to anything, but Elves are physically weak by themselves when out of their element. Humans who have an Affinity with Nature are rarer, but they are mostly half-elves and tribal humans that live in the forest.

Arcane: Commonly known as the Element of Reality. Using it, one can do the impossible. Such as opening portals, summoning creatures, conjuring shields or weapons, and when infused in other Elements, Arcane amplifies its properties by at least tenfold. That's it's most common use actually.

However, it commonly requires alot of concentration and very long casting times, unless one has extremely high Affinity to it. There is pretty much zero pure Arcane users, and this element is exclusive to the Royal House Crawford.

Not weak to any particular element, its weakness is that not many has enough Affinity to do high level spells. Even the best Wizard (The first Crawford King) in history can only ever do three major spells: Summoning, Conjuration and Teleportation.

Light: No evolved form, casting time and focus depends on Affinity, much like Nature. Light is exclusive to Angels and those of House Celeste...which got destroyed. It's known for divination, purging of demons/fiends and very effective healing.

Weak to Dark...but also powerful against it. All comes to one's Affinity and ability to Concentrate under pressure. And Magic Circle power.

Dark: No evolved form, casting time and focus depends on Affinity, much like nature. Dark is exclusive to the Vaneras and House Nebulae. Especially House Nebulae.

It's a very malleable Element, most famously known for its literal undectable stealthy nature, and its malleability that pales only slightly to Arcane's conjuration. Also demon taming. Highly offensive.

Weak to light, but also powerful against it. All comes to one's Affinity and ability to Concentrate under pressure. And Magic Circle power.