11) preparations

Dai was folding some fabrics.
"Are you a farmers girl?"

Li nodded.
"I was."
"Oh don't be sad. It's really not as bad as all seems right now!"

She started cleaning Li's back.

"You will have to go through heavy training for a while. But after that everything will be much more at ease. You will have lots of food and education, and you can join parties. You just have to be present. Not even doing anything."

"Nothing more in a deeper sense?"
"Oh no! You're destined exclusively for the king. No one else can touch you or even look at you."

"Have you met the king?"
"I've seen him. Not met him. Only the elite can meet him. I just have had to dance for him."

"I can't dance."
"I'm going to warn you. It will hurt."
Li Yu felt a shiver going down her back.
"Is the water too cold already?"
"No" she said "it's perfect."

Carefully and with a spark of hope she turned around to Dai.
"Do you see the ministers too?"
"You might sit next to them at a party. Or you might dance for them. But only the king can, eh ... touch you."

That's disgusting.
Utterly disgusting.

Dai now took a little jar and showed it to Li.
"This is shampoo."
She opening it and showed it. She let Li smell what's inside.

"Smells good doesn't it? You put this into your hair. And massage well with your fingers so you have it on your entire scalp. I will do it for you now."

Dai poured a huge amount of it on Li's hair.
"Work well with your fingers."
Li felt how Dai massages her scalp. It was the most relaxing thing ever.

"Now you do the rest of your hair."
Dai say herself down on her knees behind Li.

Li massaged the herb liquid through her hair.
"Now your hair will be clean and it will smell good and be very shiny."

Li had to admit that shampoo was something awesome.
"You see?"
Dai continued and with a wooden bowl, she started to rinse Li's hair. She made sure to go in as many times as needed to wash everything out.

Dai started at the bottom of her hair and worked her way up. When everything was rinsed out, Dai stood up again.

"You can follow me."
She had a huge towel in her hand and put it around Li's shoulders.
"Always dry your skin immediately after stepping out of the water. Otherwise your skin will be dry."

Li dried her skin as good or bad as possible.
"You will have to take care of yourself  well. Every morning."

She left Li drying her skin and took some clothes that were ready for her.

"If you're ready you can put these on."
She held it ready for Li to just step into the clothes. It was an open white colored tunic.

Dai crossed the collar and showed li where to tie everything together and which knot she had to use.

Over the white tunic came a red one. This one has huge sleeves and was much more complicated in design. Dai showed step by step how to arrange the fabric.

Now your looking much better.
Li noticed they were wearing the exact same outfit.

"Now we have to paint your nails and do your hair."

Li started to worry. Like she knew already this was going to be a disaster.

"It will go smoothly" Dai comforting her, "just do what is said well. She likes to give you commentary, even if your doing fine."

Li dropped her head.
"I was about to marry."
Dai pulled her shoulders up.
"I'm sorry for you. But I can't do anything about that. Madam Chu neither. It's not our business anymore."

Li let out a big sigh.

"Now we have to hurry. Madam Chu will do your hair and you have to learn how to paint your nails and how to put on make up for yourself."

"No."
It came out slowly and sad. Like she had given up.
"Come on. Think about all the free time your going to have. The parties, the compliments and all the food your going to have."

It all sounded just way too easy to Li.