18) before the show

There was some chaos when evening approached. The king wants to celebrate and it showed. 

Make up got touched up. Everything has to look smooth and polished. The more the better. Chu gave orders and checked the quality. 

"The new girls will be seated and will join in with dinner. The more experienced ladies will perform tonight. Mei Li you will play the pipa* today, Yue Fa you will play the guzheng**."

Was that all Li had to do today? Sit down and eat? How fantastic is that! Being beautiful doesn't take much effort, she could do that by being present. She's always been a natural beauty. 

They helped each other with the long dance dress jackets. Hair was redone in a more elaborate style. This was the same for the accessories. The more puppet like the better. 

After all the beauty routines were completed, there was a last gathering in the dinner room. Chu took the first word. 

"Listen carefully. For those who don't know what is about to happen. 

Later you will entry in a line, no order, just a line. Take care of your posture, head a little down, Do NOT look at the ministers. Only when you sit down you are allowed to look around. You will be seated on the king's right handed side. The ministers will be on the left. Mei, Yue, you stay as ordered in the background."

everyone nodded and bowed. 

"Don't eat before the king does. Stop eating when he is ready. Don't talk to each other loudly. Do not approach the king for conversation. Do not allow a man talking to you, only the king has that direct right."

Li was amazed by all this. This is really happening. 

"I am so proud of you all."

Li was waken up from her dream. Excuse me? 

"Thank you madam Chu" said all experienced girls together.

Isn't she a witch?

"When the king asks a question to all people present, you will answer with 'yes your majesty', and you will bow your head."

She sighed a little emotional.

"For all the new girls, pay good attention. You will learn a lot today."

* pipa is a sort of guitar that is played upright

** guzheng is a string instrument somewhat comparable to a harp . it rests on the players lap and tones will be altered by pushing the string in various ways.