21) the end of the party

Li Yu saw how the cooks brought in huge plates of wild meat, damping bowls, bottles, rice and more than she could dream. Most things had a smell she had never smelled before.

The was served first. Then the others. But as long as the king wasn't eating, no one is eating. In Li's head that means leaving your food to cool down.

She heard for the first time in her life the sound of a sword that's been drawn. Everyone was looking in the direction of the king.

He held his bronze sword high up in the air, point up. Li had no idea what was about to happen.

"Today!"

That was the king's voice. Loud and clear and powerful. It sounded like a voice that could move entire masses of people at once.

"Today is the first day of my kingship! We also celebrate that I have given orders to attack Han! They will bow to us! Qin! We will be the victors!"

He lowered his sword, but raised his glass of wine with his other hand.

"A toast! To us! To Qin! To the army! And to me!"

Li was fine with all that until he mentioned the toast to himself. Her fantasy king was nice and kind. Not all full from himself. He is a king, he won a battle. Is that normal behavior after a battle that you toast to yourself?

She wasn't planning on drinking wine, so instead she raised her teacup, mimicking the reaction of the other concubines. Everyone had stood up as well.

"Long live the king!" everyone shouted again, "Long live Qin" followed.

Li had seen the huge banner behind the king's throne. It had the character written on it in a huge manner.

Everyone sat down again. In alle noice, Li and many others hadn't really noticed that there was only one person not so enthusiastic as everyone else. It was the queen. The expression on her face didn't really suggest that she cared for the announcement that was just shared.

But she did care for the luxurious plate in front of her and hided her discontent this way smoothly.

The instruments started making noise for the first time. For the first time in her life she didn't hear folk songs, but composed art pieces. Songs who tell a story and follow each other as the story progresses. They weren't made to just enjoy, they are written to be examined, lived and to dream away on. She felt the instrumental waves flowing through her body.

Life in court isn't so bad after all. With an expensive fork she ate soft meats, rice, greens, eggs and many more things that are unknown to her. Ans she ate on the tones of good music.

When everyone had to stop eating because the king is ready was also the time all plates were removed instantly. Tea was served again and the music stopped for a moment.

Dai Yu and the other girl, the petite pretty one, came on stage. Every servant cleaning the tables had now disappeared again. The music started again and the girls turned around each other. They wore their dancing dresses with the long thin sleeves.

Li saw and enjoyed. Dai Yu certainly had experience and it showed in everything she did on stage. She is flexible, serene and fast. But most of all elegant.

Everyone enjoyed it. And you had to admit that it all looked wonderful. The other girl wasn't as good of a dancer as Dai but she was prettier than her. Li remembered that in a few years she would look just like that. A good dancer and very pretty above all. And the people would be looking at her.

Li felt butterflies in her belly.

The dances ended way too soon. The dessert had to be served. Li ate with lots of joy. She balanced between being polite and hogging her food.

The king was no longer interested in what his court could tell him. He stood up, took his sword and in the company of Lu BuWei and a few soldiers, he walked out.

Other people started to stand up and leave. The instruments were taken too. Li was tired from eating so much. Falling in bed like a starfish was the ultimate dream for today.

She walked towards Dai Yu, her room mate. She was taking of her dance coat and changed it for a regular way.

"Are you coming along? I am tired."
Dai had a weird expression on her face.

"No Li" she said softly, "not now". She saw that Li didn't really get why.
"You will get it later" she said carefully, "Xin Tian and I have something else to do."

Li looked at the other girl of whom she was trying to figure out who she is. She had an angry expression because it took Dai all too long.

"I see you tomorrow morning."

After she said that she turned around and walked away with Li through the same door the king had left. All other guests left through all other doors except that one.

Li was one of the last people to leave. She was confused and stared at the door Dai had left through. Only now she realized that besides having a pretty face, eating good food and others, they had another function too...

To please the king.