Future Thoughts

Here's another short one that wouldn't leave me alone guys. Keep in mind, they're in their mid to late teens. Hope you like it.
--

Swift and Penny sat on the beach, enjoying the quiet, cool, night air. Swift sat with his back against a tree, with his wings wrapped around Penny, who sat between his legs, her back to his chest.

After a busy day of training and rescues, they just wanted to have some quiet time to themselves. The calm splashing of the waves on the shore, made the two young birds feel just as calm and relaxed while staring up at the stars after talking about their day.

They stayed in comfortable silence for a while, till Penny spoke up.

"Hey, Swift?" she asked, to get the blue-jay's attention.

Swift hummed a 'mmhmm' in response.

"Have you ever thought about the future?" she asked, still staring up at the stars.

"Well, yea. All the time." Swift replied.

"Like what?" Penny asked.

"Like, what kind of training Speedy and Bea are going to give us the next day." he playfully replied.

Penny giggled. "That's not what I meant." she said, while playfully smacking his wing. 

Swift chuckled.

"I mean..." she started as she turned her gaze towards the dark ocean, while subconsciously rubbing her thumbs on Swift's wings that were wrapped around her. "Have you thought about... our future? And... what you might want from me." She said in a serious yet worried tone.

"What I might want from you? Penny, what are you taking about?" Swift asked. He had an idea of what she was talking about, but wanted to be sure.

Penny sighed. "A family, Swift. Chicks. I... I won't be able to give you that. Are you sure you want to stay with me, knowing-"

"Penny, stop." Swift cut her off.

Penny gulped worriedly as silence fell between them for a few seconds, before Swift tightened his hold around her waist, then made her turn around to face him.

"Penny... I didn't choose to be with you because of what you could or couldn't give me. I chose to be with you, because I'm attracted to you. I don't care if you can or can't give me chicks." He told her. He brought his hand up to gently cup her cheek. "You're what's really important to me. I love you for who you are, not what you can give me. If we can have chicks, that'd be great. But if we can't, we can always adopt if we really want one." He finished

Penny stared up at the blue-jay, processing everything he just said. She sighed, and place her hand over the one on her cheek.

"I'm sorry, Swift. I know I should know that, but... it was a thought that had been troubling me. I've seen how you are with kids, so..." she trailed off.

"So that's what happened." Swift thought.

Swift gave a gentle smile. "It's ok, Penny. I understand. But... I want you to promise me something. I want you to promise, that you won't let anything put you in doubt about the future of our relationship. Because, no matter what, I love you, and only you." he whispered lovingly before kissing her forehead.

Penny gave a satisfied hum. "I love you, too, Swift. And, I promise." she replied, nuzzling under his beak, while Swift pulled her into a tight hug and nuzzled back.

---

That's it for this one guys. This came to me while working on my other story and it just wouldn't leave me be. So now that it's out, I can continue my other story.