Caught Breaking the Number One Rule

This story has been sitting in my 'ideas' document for 2 years now. Yes, I had this written in 2018, so no knowledge of Season 2's events in this one. The reason I didn't submit it, was because I had planned on making it a full story. But reading it now, I couldn't think of anything more and saw it was good enough for the snippet book.
So here you go guys, enjoy.

Also, keep in mind, the cadets are older than they are in the show, as they are in all my stories.

---

Story description: Swift and Penny have broken the number one rule of Top Wing academy: 'Don't fall in love with a teammate.' They have been secretly dating for 6 months and no one knows about it except Rod and Brody. Speedy gets suspicious and finds out. How will he react to this? Read to find out.

++

Nighttime, Hidden Beach

"Speedy! We uh... w-we were just... stargazing!" Penny nervously said.

"Yea, stargazing." Swift agreed, also nervous.

"Mhmm. It looked like you were doing a lot more than that, to me. I had been watching you two for the last five to ten minutes, so don't try to lie to me about what you've been up to." Speedy stated as he stood before the two cadets with his wings crossed.

Swift and Penny stayed silent for a moment until Swift spoke up.

"H-how'd you find out?" Swift asked.

"I realized how extremely close you two have become recently, and I got a little suspicious. So, I decided to observe you for at least 24 hours to see if my suspicion was right. I saw nothing out of the ordinary during the day, which almost led me to believe that I was wrong. Until tonight when I saw you sneaking off. Of course, I followed you to see what you were up to, and I have to say, I'm disappointed. I can't believe, two of my prized students, broke the ONE rule, that shouldn't have been broken." Speedy stated.

"Speedy... we're sorry. We know what we did was wrong and it shouldn't have happened. But... it did." Swift replied despondently.

"We tried our best to ignore it, but... we couldn't. But we agreed to never show our feelings for each other in public so no-one would suspect anything. Nobody did... till now." Penny explained as she looked up at the eagle sadly.

"I see. How long has this been going on?" Speedy asked.

There was a moment of silence before Swift spoke.

"6 months." Swift cautiously replied.

Speedy's eyes widened in surprise.

"6 MONTHS?! You've kept your relationship a secret, for 6 MONTHS?!" Speedy exclaimed.

Swift and Penny flinched at his outburst of surprise before nodding.

Speedy stood silently in thought.

"We're really sorry Speedy. But please, don't kick us out of the academy. We..." Penny looked up at Swift for confirmation. He frowned and sadly nodded. "We... we'll end it. W-we'll end the relationship if that's what it takes." She said, on the verge of tears.

Swift couldn't help himself to comfort her, and she accepted it.

Speedy looked up in surprise at what he heard and just in time to see Swift comforting the, undoubtedly, distraught and heartbroken penguin.

"That won't be necessary," Speedy said, getting their attention.

"Although I am disappointed that my two prized students broke the one rule that shouldn't be broken, I can't punish you for following your heart. You two kept your relationship a secret for 6 months, all the while doing exceptionally well during training and rescues. The main purpose of that rule, is so you are able to focus on training and rescues without worrying about the safety of your significant other. But you two were able to overcome that. As such, I will allow your relationship, on one condition. You keep it the way it's been for the last 6 months. Friends by day, lovers by night. Good?" Speedy stated.

"Yes! Absolutely! No problem!" Swift happily exclaimed.

"Oh, thank you, Speedy!" Penny also exclaimed happily.

Penny was so overjoyed, she jumped and tackled the blue-jay to the ground and nuzzled under his beak. Swift chuckled and returned his penguin's affection.

Speedy was once again, surprised at what he was witnessing.

"Well, I'll be," Speedy thought and chuckled.

"Alright, then. I'm heading back to HQ. Don't stay out too late you two. You have training first thing in the morning." He told them.

They acknowledge him before he took his leave.

"Phew. I felt my heart stop when he caught us. I really thought he'd make us end it, or kick us out of the academy." Penny said in relief once Speedy was out of sight.

"Yea, me too. It would have been really hard for us if he did either one. We wouldn't be able to focus on training or rescues knowing we can't be together. And if he kicked us out, the rest of the island would want to know why and he'd probably get a lot of backlash for it." Swift stated.

"That... is true, now that I think about what would happen if he kicked us out. But... I'm happy he allowed us to stay together. I really don't know what I'd do if he didn't." Penny stated.

"I know. I don't know what I'd do either." Swift replied with a hand behind her back and the other gently caressing her cheek.

Penny gave a pleased hum at his caress.

"I love you, Penny." Swift told her, as he rests his forehead against hers and closed his eyes.

"And I love you, Swift." Penny replied as they nuzzled each other once again.

They separate and stare at each other lovingly.

"5 more minutes of stargazing before we go back?" Swift asked.

Penny nods and lays next to him. His wing around her as they continued to look up at the stars, and listen to the waves splashing onto the shore.

Speedy was still there, hiding behind a tree watching and listening. What he saw and heard made him realize the mistake he would have made if he disapproved of their relationship. Although rules are meant to be followed or enforced, there are times you have to bend those rules for the well being of others.  

--

That's it. Hope you enjoyed it. Feedback greatly appreciated.