VII

June 2016

Bambi got into a fight with Inez.

I was in solitary and I missed it, I didn't do my job and protect her. The cut's on her face hurt me. The bitch really wore rings? You're not supposed to even have them in jail.

"I promise, I didn't even do anything!" Bambi defends as I clean her cuts, "I was sitting alone and she came up to me, bragging at the fact that she got you in solitary again but I swear I didn't respond which made her angrier and she grabbed my hair and hit my face onto the table. So I put what we practised into action,"

I can't help but be proud that she even defended herself, "She still caught you off guard, Bambi. What have I always told you?"

"Always stay alert," she repeats with a little huff before she looks at me with eyes watering, "I don't know how I'm supposed to continue for 4 more years,"

I held her tightly as she sobbed in my lap, brushing her hair backwards to soothe her, "I'm going to be here all the time. Even when I get out, you can call me when you can and you'll be out on good behaviour like me. Okay?"

I felt her nod her head and we stayed there until the guard told us to leave.

***

September 2018

"You're coming," Vivian announces on the phone the next day. "Unless you can tell me a genuine reason why you can't?"

I stayed quiet realising that the reason I don't go to parties is due to bad memories of Finn who's dead now. I have no reason not to go except for the fact that I'd just rather not be in their presence.

"Exactly," Vivian started, "Plus, it'll be the perfect opportunity to out Kayla."

"About that, I've decided not to retaliate until she does something."

She stayed quiet, "Strategic and smart, to have something in the bag." she agrees, "Why did you talk to Jude then?"

"I told him he'll put them around the school when I want him to." I speak and she hums in response, "Was that the wrong thing to do?"

"No, but I'm sure there's something going on with Kayla and him. I hope you didn't give him the only copy."

"Do you think I'm an idiot?" I retort, "Remember, In my head, you're all friends. You're probably working with her right now."

"I'm Switzerland, I stay with who's winning and I want you to win," she replies, "Back to this party, wear something short and tight."

with that, she cut the phone and I looked down at it shocked that she actually demanded something then cut the phone on me.

I roll my eyes and put on Netflix. I'm not leaving my house

*

I left my house.

Ethan left after I told him to have fun without me and I was left with just my thoughts. I thought I had perfected not overthinking in solitary but I guess not because I was able to persuade myself that I'm only going so Ethan has someone to drive him home.

Vivian opened the door and smiled, "I knew you'll make it."

I wasn't able to admire inside her home the last time I was here but it was really beautiful which makes sense since her mother is an interior designer. Don't ask how I know that.

"Kayla couldn't help mentioning how you're not here and that you're probably fucking some guy in a car park," she tells me and I roll my eyes at her childishness.