|21|

"What do you think about expanding Willsden Brooke?" Adam mused suddenly, catching Leora off her guard. Adam had been throwing the idea around in his head since his meeting with Vincent and Damien the day before. He thought the idea was a good one, but it wasn't his place to make that decision, especially when the outcome could affect people's lives.

The two were cuddled together in bed, her head on his chest, his arms around her waist stroking the soft skin of her thigh gently. His lips brushed against Leora's forehead and through the window behind her he caught a glimpse of the sky's artistry as the sun came up outside. He wished that he could capture it for her, to find a way for her to actually see it. It was so beautiful, he knew she would love it too.

"What? Why?" Leora asked, confused. She couldn't see how the happenings of the small human town could possibly have any interest for the Alpha. She felt Adam's heartbeat pulsing below her soothingly, a short flash of a spellbinding sunrise passed in her mind's eye for a couple seconds.

"Damien expressed that he was having trouble with humans encroaching on his territory." Adam spoke, his tone in that Alpha business one that it had donned earlier. "I want to avoid a war by relocating the humans elsewhere. Willsden Brooke is the closest neutral territory."

"Okay, but why ask me?" Leora pondered aloud, "It's not my home anymore."

Leora couldn't help but feel like she was in between a rock and a hard place with Adam's request. She had left the town and it didn't feel fair for her to delegate the town's business. She couldn't see why Adam would ask her but she still felt as if it was a decision beyond her.

Adam knew his mate was the only person who could make this decision. She had the insight of actually having lived in the small town, not to mention she was a human. Usually in such cases a delegate for the area would sit in and make the decision on behalf of the town but since the residents of Willsden Brooke knew nothing of the supernatural world, Leora was the only one capable of making the choice.

"I know it's unfair of me to ask you this beautiful," Adam sighed, his fingers pausing their soothing path as his face scrunched in conflicted frustration. "I can't ask anyone from the town without making things overly complicated. You're the only one I know who can make this choice. Besides, I trust your word more than anyone else in this world."

Leora let out a heavy breath. She knew his intention was not to make her feel burdened or stressed but his words had ignited a conflict within her.

The town of Willsden Brooke was ridiculously small, with an average population of about 70 residents. If they were to expand it wouldn't be so much of an issue but it was more a question of if the townsfolk would be so welcoming to outsiders. However she could also see the benefits of increasing the town's population. Whatever she did, she would have to choose carefully because her choice would affect people's lives.

"I don't know Adam," She sighed. Her fingers traced his bare chest absentmindedly as she thought. "I'm going to have to think it through."

"Take your time, beautiful." He kissed her forehead, pulling her a fraction closer. They stayed that way for a while yet, the quiet cushioning them comfortably. Adam's eyes trained on the oranges and blues of the sky outside as it changed, again his thoughts darted back to the woman in his arms.

"That's a beautiful sunrise," Leora spoke as the picture in her mind's eye came back, this time longer and clearer. "Where is it from?"

Adam was somewhat surprised, he knew from the moment she had reacted so strongly to Spiraea and Marianne that they had some kind of visual connection but he wasn't entirely sure on how it worked. He had never heard of mates being able to see through each other's eyes. But, none of it mattered; he knew they would only get more in tune with one another, and if this was a way that they could enjoy the sunrise together he would thank the Goddess for the small blessing.