Ch. 14

'Where did you go? I was looking everywhere for you?' Anum marched towards me as soon as I returned to the venue.

'Can we leave?' I hurried. I wanted to go home immediately.

'Event is still going on Maya...why happened?' Her eyes searched around, looking for something.

'What are you looking for?' I asked.

'Where is Zain?' She looked at me. I just shrugged.

'He said something, didn't he? When will he learn...I'll go talk to him' She observed me for a while before turning to go look for Zain.

'It's nothing...nothing happened. I don't know where he is...look I am going to leave, you guys can leave whenever you want' I stopped her.

'No...you can't leave alone...give me a sec, I'll go look for him we will leave together' She replied and dialed Zain's number. Things got very bitter between us really quick but I didn't want our bitterness to turn things sour between my friendship with Anum. I couldn't let Zain's fear keep me from being friends with Anum but I also couldn't let Anum's friendship keep me close to him.

'Anum listen...please, I can leave by myself, don't trouble him. You guys enjoy the event okay?' I grabbed her phone and ended the call.

'You sure?' She asked me again.

'There are a few taxis near the entrance...I'll call you once I reach home' I hugged her and went outside to look for a taxi. Thankfully there was one taxi left so I quickly got in to leave for home.

'Hold on' Just as the taxi driver started the engine, Zain came out of nowhere and grabbed the side of the car door where I was sitting.

'Come out' He said to me as he opened the door, staring at me as if I don't listen to him he'll eat me alive.

'I am leaving...let go' I grabbed the door to close it but he didn't let go of it. The driver turned around and gave me a look which meant either close the door so he could leave or get out.

'Zain please' Unable to look at him any longer, I pulled my gaze away from him.

'What's wrong with you?' I gave up and got out of the taxi when he remained silent for too long. Second I left the taxi, another person got in and drove away.

'That was the only taxi left and I missed it because of you' I yelled at him.

'Who gave you permission to leave?' He asked me. Was he kidding?

'I don't need a permission from anyone to leave...I want to go home' I remarked.

'Okay,' He grabbed my hand and dragged me to his car.

'What are you doing?' I tried pulling my hand away but he didn't allow that.

'I am taking you home...' He made me sit in the car and locked the door. He went back to the venue and minutes later returned with Anum.

'I am sorry...I was going to take a taxi but...' I started to speak as soon as Anum got in the car.

'Hey, it's fine... I wanted to leave this event so badly...you did me a favor' She said in a calm manner.

'Where is he going?' I asked Anum when I saw Zain grabbing a bag from the back of the trunk and heading back to the event.

'He got a gift for Sumaiya...probably went in to give it to her' She informed me and I felt a slight pinch of discomfort. I knew what this feeling was, I didn't want to feel it and that's exactly why I wanted to stay away from Zain.

He remained quiet during the entire car ride. He had his thinking face on but it was hard to comprehend what was exactly going on in his head.

'Anum...you go inside...Maya and I are going to the office' Zain spoke as soon as he stopped the car in front of his house. What was his deal? Did he want to torture me that bad?