Chapter 4: The Draft

(Ileen Von Derk - GT 0932 150)

It has been about a week since the attack on the capital. Rolund and I have been hanging out in his dorm during the day ever since the mandatory curfew was lifted. "Still no word that test retakes will still be today." Rolund said. I knew he was worrying that the attack screwed any possibility of him ever achieving his dreams. I have not been in the best of mind sets either after the attack, I hope my parents will overlook the attack and did not put everything on seeing me getting the degree on that day.

"Well no one could have predicted this, at least not civilians like us, who knows if they knew this attack would have had happened up in the government. Though that too is unlikely from all the reported casualties of many members of congress." I noted.

"Yeah, Dalivikay was lucky he and a few others were off site at the time." Suddenly our COMs started ringing.

"Looks like another federal update." Rolund said accepting the message. The same globe and robotic voice soon returned.

"Update on the Vesmican-Tharium War, Galactic Date GT 0932 150. The Vesmicans have managed to surround and isolate the Centura system cutting it off from supply. With eight and counting DLT systems having been captured or raised the President and Congress have agreed to increase the defence measures." Then a clip of Dalvikay speaking at a pedestal with the destroyed, still smoking, capital behind him starts to play.

"The destruction behind me is the very example of the danger the Vesmicans have to Tharium-kind. It is with my great displeasure that starting tomorrow, GT 0932 151, all civilians who are both battle-capable and not in a war-critical profession will have to, under the legal penalty of minor treason - meaning imprisonment for the duration of the war - sign up for a draft to join the DLT protectarite force to take down the Vesmican menace."

The robotic voice continued as the feed went back to the globe, "Every citizen of the DLT can sign up and be tested for their eligibility for enrollment at their nearest provided registration post, if you are unsure where that is, DLT personal can show you where the nearest one is. Failure to arrive to a registration post and have your eligibility determined within seven days will result in your off-site testing and imprisonment if proved to be eligible. The DLT has protected you for many years, and now it is your turn to return the favor. End of Transmission."

After a moment Rolund spoke up. "Did they say if we did not sign up to join the military; we would be imprisoned?" His disbelief showing through.

"Yes, and it will last the entirety of the war. That could be bad in one of two ways, either the war lasts for so long you would die before it ended, or if the DLT lost the war you would be left to whatever the Vesmicans would want to do to you. Either way the only options the politicians have given us are likely death, or worse." I confirmed.

"Then they must be in some serious shit." Rolund said his face showing signs of frustration and regret.

"I presume they would think I am eligible too... that bothers me. I would rather find myself dead instead of killing another." I added.

Rolunds face slowly went from distress to hopefulness looking like he had an idea. "I have an idea." I chuckled further confirming my theory that he has practically the opposite of a poker face at all times. "No really, a third option, a much safer solution." he continued. "Remember that ship my grandfather left to me in his will? We can fuel it up and leave the DLT, head to someplace nicer and forget this war ever happened."

"That just might work, but where are we going to get the supplies to last us until we leave the DLT? Lunah?" I joked.

"Actually yes!" Rolund said, "Lunah actually has one of the largest yet quieter trading posts within 200 Galixies. With it being literally Tharum's moon we can get there in hardly no time at all! Ileen I suggest you get packing!"