10. Grief

Year 1945

Losing one of her friends was enough for her to keep sane. But losing another will tear her apart like half of her life is missing or dead. Keeping her emotional stable is much more harder in this situation right now.

"There's not gonna be a safe landing." His voice responds in the speaker, "...but I can try and force it down."

In the command room, Peggy, Layla and Colonel Philips staring at the speaker in concern and fear yet the female warrior who stood near Peggy was glaring on the ground. Her fists tighten tightly, she should be there with him. She DID try to jumped on Schmidt's aircraft but Steve stopped her, saying he should be the one to end it and said he will be back soon.

She knew the moment he climbs aboard on that aircraft, something bad will happens or something horrified at the thought that he will never return. And her instinct was right when he responds. Tears threaten to fall from her eyes, her chest feels heavy.

"I'll get Howard on the line. He'll know what to do--." Peggy spoke, trying to find a way to save him.

"There's not enough time." He interrupts her, his tone is slightly low. "This thing's moving too fast and it's heading for New York." It was silent for a moment as if he was thinking of something before he spoke, "... I got to put her in the water."

Layla gritted her teeth, her voice cracked, "Please... don't do this. We have time. We can work it out, Steve..."

"Right now I am in the middle of nowhere. If I wait any longer, a lot of people are gonna die." He takes a deep breath, "Layla... this is my choice."

Peggy stares at Layla in pain as she takes her hand to comfort her, she is going to lose another one again and the goddess choke, she can't take it anymore as the tears slowly fall down on her cheeks.

"Layla?"

"Yes?"

"Live your life to the fullest. Spend your life with the right partner... I--" The speaker broke the signal, couldn't finish his final words.

"Steve?"

Still no respond, Layla drop to her knees and began to cry in despair as her body shook uncontrollably. "... no..." Sobbing, placing her hands at her teary face and Peggy embraced her moving back and forth, whispering to her ears. How can she survive living her life if she had to bear the pain of those who are precious to her died? Living immortality alone, they would slowly leave this world either dead or growth old.

Timeskip

The day everyone celebrated their victory and freedom from war, few were in grief at the loss of their captain. In the room, a certain warrior packed her things in one bag, she already wears her coat and hat even had place secure of her shield and sword that somehow magically fits in her black coat.

She had planned to leave on her journey alone.

Howard knows this, he doesn't agree at first but seeing her eyes held grief and sadness, he knew she needs some time alone. He reaches his hand out to grab her shoulder, turning her around to face her with sadness yet serious expression.