13. Serenity

The sound of the birds chirping in the morning, light enters through the window to brighten the dark room and the only sound you can hear was the soft snoring of someone sleeping peacefully on the queen size bed. His eyes opened slightly, awake by metal sounds from the basement.

'What is Stark doing this early morning?' Rubbing his eyes with a yawn, 'Another new invention again, huh. He always ruins my peaceful sleep.'

Turning his body to the side, he wraps his arms around at the person who had slept beside him and pulled the warm close to him. Staring at her peaceful face, he enjoys watching her like this every morning and she is defenseless.

His fingers brush the strain of her hair from her face before he places his chin on her head while embracing her, gently, not wanting to wake her up any moment. Last night he had another nightmare again but this time his dream was about Layla's death.

He desperately wished it was only just a dream.

Her death, her body on the cold floor surrounded by a pool of her blood and her lifeless eyes... It's just a nightmare. Layla is immortal. She can't die that easily... unless someone finds a way to kill her... 'No. Stop thinking about it! Just a nightmare, Erik!'

That time when he awoke and screams in agony, Layla rushed to his room trying to calm him down while embracing him with her soothing magic on him. Rocking him back and forth, he clung to her as his life depends on her. They stayed like that until they haven't realized they soon fall asleep. In his mind, he decided to let her sleep in his room instead of him sleep in her room. He knew that he can't sleep unless he hears her breathes beside him.