Chapter 16. Gnumus

Bryalnus: Ferionus

Jirabi pounded his broad purple fists against the steel barrier.

"Tyler!! TYLER! Can you hear me Tyler??"

"Malba it's useless, she's probably doing the same thing on the other side and we can't hear a thing. The door's too thick." Bryalnus searched the surrounding walls. "We need to see if we can find a switch on this side that will open the door again. EkirBai, Belnag, come help me search."

Bai and Heva hesitantly stepped though the scarred entrance of the ship and started digging through the metal debris along the walls. 

"We can't wait for the PPF to come here while she is stuck in there, Captain." Jirabi fumed with frustration. "They could take hours!"

"I understand Malba." Byralnus responded calmly. He paused, thinking about his next words. "EkirBai and I will go in and look for her."

"What??" Spat Bai, dropping a piece of broken machinery in shock.

"There is no obvious switch on this side of the door." Byralnus motioned to the walls surrounding them. "But we do have a second passage that will take us into the ship." He motioned towards the second dark passage that ran parallel to the one Tyler was trapped in. "With any luck the paths converge and we will reunite with Jacobs shortly. Malba, Belnag; you two stay behind and wait for Officer Toin and his two other officers. EkirBai and I will go in and find Jacobs."

Bai looked into the darkened side passage with horror. "Heva dear, didn't you say you saw something move in here a while ago?"

"EkirBai, I will keep you safe." Byralnus sighed. "Let's go." The crystal being strode into the corridor. "Malba, tell the PPF when they get here to follow us in. We may run into trouble."

"We'll come find you too!" Said Jirabi, walking back to where Heva was standing in the rubble.

"No." Called Byralnus. "I want you two to stay here in case Jacobs makes it out before us."

"But captain, Short is in there; you will probably need the extra help—"

"Stay here, Malba." Said Byralnus patiently. "The less of my team in this wreck the better. Though I do believe in the buddy system. Come on EkirBai."

"Holy Ruo, Holy Ruo, Holy Ruo..." Muttered Bai a she stepped into the dark. Her eyes darted around with panic.

"Ekirbai," sighed Byralnus, turning his head back to look at the large quivering lizard, "don't you have anything better to say than to fill the air with curses?"

Bai quickly shook her head.

"Then keep your mouth shut. Your words are offending my ears."

Bai walked behind the captain in silence as the protective light of the entrance slowly sunk behind them.

"Captain..." Bai whispered. Her voice quivered slightly as they slowly immersed themselves into the darkness. "Do... you actually have ears?"