Chapter 8

Rachel's P.O.V~

-the next day-

My early shift ended and I was forced to face the inevitable. It was time to return to the house. I used the last of the money I had on me to get a cab to his street. I approached the front door and and placed the key into the lock.

I don't know what I'll do if I see him.

I turned the key and quickly made my way inside. I practically bolted up the stairs and to my room. I pulled out my suitcase from beneath my bed and started stuffing it with my clothes and other belongings. With each article I could feel my heart saddening to a lower degree.

"Look who has finally returned," said a voice from behind.
It's Vanessa.

I continued packing and seemingly ignored her. She continued, "And packing too. I told you, you'd have no chance of being Cory's girl." I still didn't even pay her a glance as I continued packing my things. As I got up to unpack the closet I could now see she was leaning comfortably on the doorframe, like she didn't intend on leaving.

"Told you he was mine. You had no chance honey. You should be more careful about how you receive 'confidential information'," she snickered from behind.

She knew the password.
But how?

I paused as I had a moment of realization. The door was open when Cory told me where the password was.
I slapped the dresser with my hand in frustration.

She smiled as she continued, "You made it way too easy for me to lie Rachel. I mean- you just laid it out so perfectly for me." She chuckled next to the door and continued, "He didn't even believe you when you said you didn't delete the software.."

"So, what? You're a more convincing liar than I could ever be. Congrats," I replied. "Yeah, that was wayyyyy to easy. You should work on that Rachel,"she replied.

I knelt down and zipped up my suitcase as I had just finished packing.
"The truth will always set you free."

I walked past her with my bag and made my way down the steps.
"Well, look what it did to you!" she commented as she laughed menacingly.

I made my way down the stairs, pausing at the very bottom. I took one last look at what I'd be leaving behind. I placed the house key on the counter and made my way out of the house.
"Bye sweetheart!" I heard Vanessa yell from afar.

Atleast I didn't have to see Cory.

I made my way to the bus stop as I noticed that there was an awful amount of traffic appearing. I stood there for about half an hour and then decided that it was best that I found somewhere I could wait comfortably.

The park.

I looked down at my dusty shoes as I mentally prepared myself for the walk I would have to make.

I will probably have to call Mrs.Williams and let her know that I'm going back to her house early. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered coming to this place anyway.

I walked in complete silence to the park and once I arrived sat on the first bench I saw as I could've easily seen Cory's special spot in the distance.

Cory's P.O.V~

I went down the stairs and picked up the key that was left on the countertop. A felt a pang of sadness as I felt the grooves of the key with my fingers.

"Hey Cory, ready to finish that conversation from earlier?" Vanessa asked as she sat on one of the sofas. "Is there anything you wanna tell me Vanessa?" I asked. She looked at me confusedly and answered, "Well yeah- the conversation from earlier-"
"No, about Rachel," I added.

I saw here eyes widen as she looked back at me.

She answered, "Well, I was thinking of warning you from the start that she did seem a little fishy, Cory." I questioned, "Fishy how?"
She answered, "I mean- ,you know- even from the way she looked at you I could tell something was up. Like, who does that to someone? That's so inconsiderate."
I just stood there nodding and looking down at the key in my hand as I listened to her.
She continued, "And she looked as if she was actually interested in you. Can you believe that?"

Rachel might be interested in me?

I tried to conceal any form of a reaction to Vanessa's words. I replied solemnly, "Actually... I believed alot of things.
Like I believed that you weren't a lying, coniving, backstabbing person who has zero remorse whatsoever."

I could feel her eyes on me as I still kept my gaze on the key that sat comfortably in my palm. She replied in a somewhat shaky voice, "What- What ever could you mean? We've been friends since highschool-"
I responded, "Exactly, friends. But it seems as if you don't even deserve that title." I finally looked up at her to see if she would finally confess. She shook her head and continued, "Cory, what are you talking about? Of course I'm your friend."
"A friend would lie straight to my face?" I questioned. Her mouth opened to contest, but I continued, "How could you- Why would you??"

She looked down at her hands as she finally rose to her feet. She answered, "Because I like you alot Cory."

What??!

I replied, more confused then ever, "How can you 'like me alot' and then sabotage me?? Vanessa, I heard every word you said to Rachel, when she was leaving. All of this just doesn't add up. Why would you target her like that??"

A silence filled the room as both of our minds blurred with thoughts.
I continued, "She didn't 'look' like she was interested was she."
I looked up at her as I could see Vanessa silently shaking her head with shame. "She admitted it to you," I added, "And you were just waiting like a snake... ready to strike."

I continued, "You have anything to say for yourself ?"
She looked up at me as she nervously picked at her nails, "I'm- I'm sorry."

I looked down at the key once again as I shook my head in disappointment of both Vanessa and myself. "Just leave."
The room fell silent once more as all I could hear was Vanessa collecting her things, which was followed soon enough by the opening and then closing of my front door.

I was alone once more and I was left with feelings of regret and sorrow.