War

War

Dare’s POV

I sat outside of Henri’s room as her screams fill the hospital. I finch as she screams over and over. Ryan had already left. After the second scream, he couldn’t stand it anymore. He loved his sister, but he couldn’t bear her screams while he wasn’t able to do anything to help her.

            For nine hours Henri screamed her throat hoarse. And when she finally screamed herself dry, I walked back into her room and sat in the chair beside her bed. She was sleeping now, but she had a look of utter agony, that it broke my heart. I knew that I shouldn’t have told her about Dean right away, but I knew that if I kept it hidden from her, that it would hurt her even more if she found out on her own.

            Her head suddenly starts turning quickly. “Please no more goddess. I can’t take any more deaths of those I love. Please.” I could feel my heart start to crumble. My sister was hurting and there was nothing that I could do to help relieve the pain. She starts to settle down, but then she speaks again.

            “Please goddess, give him another chance at love. He deserves another. When I die, give him another mate.” I tense up and lean closer to her. Henri didn’t speak again, so I sit back and lay my head against the wall. Several hours pass and she just lies there. Gabe had checked in a few times, but I just told him to go get some sleep. I knew that they were mates, but I didn’t understand how.

            She had Gideon and then Louis. And now apparently she has Gabriel. The guys and I would have to sit him down and give him “the talk”. Because alpha or no, if he hurts our sister, we won’t hesitate to hurt him. I stand up to stretch my legs to keep the cramps out. I walk to the window when she starts to speak again. “We have to stop the war Gabe. There’s a war coming after all packs. Vampires, rogues and hunters are together. We can’t win and we can’t stop it. I’m going to die. I’ll die.”

            I growl at her words. No one will kill my sister if I could help it. I walk out of her room. Telling the nurse to keep an eye on Henri, I almost run to Gabe’s office. Kicking to door open, I walk in. He jumped a little when the door flew open. I glare at him. “What’s this about a coming war between the packs and a collation of vampires, hunters and rouges?” He pales at my words.

            “This is the first I’ve heard about it. Who told you?”

            “Henri was talking in her sleep. She said something about giving someone another mate. And then she said something about a war, not being able to stop it and her dying.” Gabriel’s eyes turn black as a growl rips out of his throat. “She will not die!” I raise my hands but keep my eyes on him. “Dude, I know. But I’m just repeating what she said in her sleep.”

            My phone rings, cutting the tension. “Hello?”

            “Derrick, I just got word from the council. Apparently the vampires just signed a treaty with hunters. And the hunters have signed a treaty with the rouges as well.” I feel ice slide through my veins. “What?!”

            “The council has just declared a nationwide state of emergency.  Every pack has just been ordered to start training every wolf in their pack whether they’ve shifted yet or not.”

            “Did they say how soon they would attack?”

            “No, but they think they’ll attack within a few months. We just have to start training soon.”

            “Have the pack start training at 5.” I look down at my watch. “Which is in exactly two hours? I want y’all training from 5 to 6. And for the pups in school, they’ll train from 4 to 7. I’ll pass the information to Gabriel. Thanks for letting me know.” I hang up and look at Gabe.

            “The council has just declared a nationwide emergency because the blood suckers, rouges and hunters have just signed a treaty with each other. And they plan on coming after us. We have to start training every member in our pack whether they’ve shifted or not.”

            “How did Henri know about this before the council?” I shake my head slipping into a chair. “I’m not sure. When she was asleep, she had this look of such agony on her face, it broke my heart. I don’t think she can deal with any more heartache Gabe.  I think that she’s given up. I hate to see her like this man. The last time I saw her hurt like this was when Gideon rejected her and she ran away.”

            I sigh and rub my face. “Look, I have to get back to my pack. I’ve been gone to long as it is. I want you to update me on Henri every hour. I’ll go say goodbye, but you keep someone around her at all times.” Gabe nods and I stand up. “I’m scared that she’ll try something, but I don’t know what just yet.”

            I make my way back to her room. The stress of the past three weeks came crashing down onto my shoulders. When I reach her room, I come to a quick stop. Her bed’s completely empty. I try catching her scent, but for some odd reason I could only get a very small hint of wolf’s bane.

            “Gabriel!” I yell as I spin around running towards his office. This is not happening again.  

Gabriel’s POV

            I heard Derrick yell and I knew that something wasn’t right. Rushing out of my office, I head towards the hospital wing. I knew that I should have stayed in the room with her. I meet Derrick just outside of the den. “What’s wrong?”

            “Henri’s gone. The only thing I could pick up was just a hint of wolf’s bane.” I push past him and into Henri’s room. Taking in several deep breaths, I mumble something and walk back out. “She left on her on Derrick. Why would she do that?”

            “I have no clue. The Henri I know would never leave without saying goodbye or leaving a note.”

            “She’ll be back I hope.” I say as a nurse walks up to us. “Excuse me alpha, but the girl that was in room left this for Alpha Derrick.” She hands his a piece of paper and leaves. As he reads it, his face pales. “What’s wrong Derrick?” Worry and fear fill my voice. “She says that she knows of a way that will keep anyone from dying and that will stop the war. But in order for her way to work, we can’t look for her.”

            I snatch the letter out of his hand.

            Dear Dare,

            I know of a way that will stop the war between the packs and the vamps with the rouges and hunters. But in order for my way to work, no one can look for me. I’m sorry that I couldn’t say goodbye in person, but I know that you would have tried to talk me out of doing this my way. This way I can make sure that no one I care about dies again. I’ve lost to many people that I care about to just sit back and let them take my place.

            All I ask is from you is that you don’t tell Gabriel. He wouldn’t let me go if he knew. If everything works out, you’ll hear from me soon. But if this plan fails, just know that I couldn’t ask for a better group of brothers. Please tell Ryan that even though he wasn’t my full brother, I will always think of him as such. The same goes for you and the others.

            I love you and I’m sorry for having to leave this way. It was the only way I knew that I would be able to leave without anyone stopping me. By the time you receive this, I’ll have a head start. Do not come looking for me. You won’t find me. Of that I’m sure of.

            Henri

            I hand it back to him and stalk off to my office slamming the door behind me. I link with my beta. Henri’s ran off. I need you to get our best trackers after her. I cut the link and just stare at my computer screen. How could she just leave like that?