Epilogue

Epilogue

Henri’s POV

I laid in my bed, listening to the beep of the heart monitor. Stephen and I married just weeks after I got my memories back. My brothers and I caught up on everything we missed. Gabriel and I remained friends, but he stayed away as much as he could. And I understood. Derrick and Stephen joined their packs three years after that night. It made us stronger, and both of them run things together.

My eyes roam around the room and I catch a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror. I was no longer young, but nor was I old. Stephen and I had thirty years together, and I cherished every moment I had with him. We had ten beautiful children. I smile fondly as I think about my youngest two. We didn’t expect them when I became sick. When the doctor told us that I was carrying twins, Stephen fainted. That’s right; the big, tough alpha fainted.

The eight oldest were boys, but I still longed for a girl. I got my wish when I had the twins. Both of the pups were girls, and I could sense that both had my gifts. When they were born, I was both glad and sad. I was saddened at the fact that one day, one of my future great-grandchildren would have to face the choice I made. So, I raised them in the belief that the wolf community was like a huge pack, and the pack would always come first.

And I knew that they would raise their daughters with the same, and that made me feel better. As the laughter of my children reached my ears, I felt tears run down my face. All but the last four of my pups were married and had families of their own. And I knew that I wouldn’t be around to see them meet their mates, get married and have pups.

Even though werewolves don’t get the normal sicknesses that humans get so often, we can get cancer or any of the major illnesses. Two weeks after our thirtieth anniversary, I noticed that I was losing weight fast and I was throwing up. I kept putting off seeing the doctor until the day I passed out in the kitchen. Stephen found me and carried me to the hospital floor.

There, after two days of running tests, I found out that I had stage four cancer. The doctor gave me a year at least, but said that could change at any moment. We sat the whole family down that night and broke the news to them. They were shocked.  The past few months, they all watched me like a hawk, but I knew that they were worried about me and they loved me.

Stephen had stepped down from the alpha position and passed it to Dean, our fourth son. The first three joined their mates pack when they found them. I was so proud of them. Opening the small dresser beside my bed, I pull out eleven notes. Each one was tied with a different colored ribbon. They were my last goodbyes to my family. I laugh quietly when I notice that Stephen’s was thicker than the rest. But I didn’t know how to say goodbye to him.

He was the love of my life, beside Louis. When I told him about my second mate, Stephen surprised me. When our last son was born, Stephen named him Louis. The sound of my heart beating slower registered in my mind. I wipe a tear from my eye and closed the drawer, keeping the letters in my hands. Stephen told me that when I knew I was about to die, to call for him.

But I didn’t want his last memory of me to be the one where I drew my final breath. I decide to link with him. Hey babe, what are you doing?

I’m teaching Dean’s son how to throw a ball.

Are y’all having fun?

We are love. How are you feeling?

I’m a little sleepy. I think I’ll take a nap before you come and take me for our little stroll in the garden.