| 24 |

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑 | The entire plan goes to hell in a basket, complete with a bow

FREYJA had never slept in a car before, having grown up in the temples of Olympus and then stayed at Camo Half-Blood. She didn't mind it, per se, but that might be due to the fact that she was waking up next to Luke. That made everything better.

Luke still slept like he was dead, quiet snores leaving his mouth every so often, though his arms were wrapped around Freyja. She had been using him as a pillow overnight, and she tilted her head to look up at him, admiring the man she loved dearly. His blond hair was a mess, but he looked younger in his sleep, like he did when she first met him.

Thunder rumbled over their head, dark clouds forming above the mountain and she licked her lips and managed to manoeuvre her way out of Luke's arms. Shivering, she grabbed a hoodie, before unlocking the car and stepping outside. The scent of eucalyptus leaves washed over her, as Freyja tilted her head back and muttered a quick prayer to Artemis.

This needed to go right.

"Why are you up?" Luke's voice was husky with sleep as he wrapped an arm around her waist and pressed a kiss to her lips. 

"Cramps." Luke hummed, rubbing soothing circles on her stomach. It wasn't actually a lie, she did have slight cramps, but it wasn't the full truth. The prophecies were on her mind. "I'm nervous about the quest. I want it to go right."

"It will." Luke pressed a kiss to her head. "We're good fighters, some of the best and whatever happens, we'll get through it together. I know that."

"I just-"

"I've got your back." Luke turned her around, placing his hands on her cheeks as he sent her a reassuring look. "Nothing's going to happen when I'm here."

Freyja placed her hands on his chest, feeling him breathing as she tried to calm her anxiety. Everything felt overwhelming, feelings crashing around her, and her brain was struggling to order them. However, one thought was at the forefront of her mind. I love you.

She'd been repeating it to herself, trying to calm her breathing as Luke rubbed circles on her back. Freyja loved him and she wanted him to know, though she knew she couldn't. She loved him. She loved him. 

She loved him.

"I love you too." Freyja froze, every thought freezing in her veins at the sound of Luke's voice. Looking up slowly, Freyja made eye contact with Luke's beaming face as her worst thoughts were concerned. Fear welled up in every fibre of her being, as Luke leant down to press a kiss to her lips.