| 42 |

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐖𝐎 | Freyja finally works out what went wrong 

MAKING it out of the Labyrinth was tricky, but Freyja managed, just about, breathing a sigh of relief at the fresh air that greeted her face. She was in Texas, which caused her to frown, before whistling for Mirage as loud as she could. She needed to get back to Camp and begin to help with war preparations, especially now that she knew she would be fighting Luke when the time came to it.

There was a moment of pause, before the sound of flapping wings filled her ears, and the dapple grey pegasus appeared in front of her. Dust whipped up around them, before the horse finally touched down on the floor.

Mirage snorted, prancing around in a circle, before finally allowing Freyja to vault up and onto his back.

"We're going back to Camp Half-Blood." Freyja muttered, turning Mirage around before letting him gallop along a large flat piece of land so that he could take off. Freyja let out a sigh of annoyance, going back over everything that Luke had said, analysing the little details.

So far, it was just Luke saying that he was doing this for her. For Thalia. To right the wrongs of their deaths, but she was still confused and one part of her was sad. But her family's teachings rang through her head - he had chosen his side, and now Freyja had to do her duty.

She shook her head, before thinking back over the past few weeks, of the quest into the Labyrinth, her mother's warning, Luke bathing in the River Styx. She froze, her mind starting to connect dots that she didn't wish were connected.

"Mirage. Turn around. Get me to Mount Orthys as fast as you can!" Freyja pulled on the reins, turning her pegasus around, as he shot off like a bullet in the direction of California. Sure, most pegasi were fast, but Mirage was a cut above the rest. He had been raised and trained with the young goddess, expected to be her companion just as the other gods had their own.

He was a fast horse, but Freyja didn't know if he was going to be fast enough. She had to get there in time.

☾☼☽

The flight was quick, and soon Mount Orthys came into sight. Freyja leant down, gathering the reins and urging Mirage into a downwards spiral. The horse obliged, extending his wings at the final minute as Freyja dived off to land by Percy. Mirage bowled over the telkhines, before thundering off once more.

"Freyja." Percy's voice sounded relieved, as Freyja drew Epilogue and turned to face Luke. Only, this wasn't the man that she knew.

His eyes were no longer the familiar blue that she had first fallen in love with all those years ago, instead a sickly golden colour that made her stomach curl at the sight of it. This wasn't Luke. Not anymore. No, this was someone older, someone more powerful.

Kronos.

"Percy, you have to go!" Freyja called, pushing the younger boy back as she swiped at a telkhine that got too close. It disintegrated into dust on contact with the sword.

"No. I'm not leaving you, Freyja!" Percy shook his head, as Kronos began to laugh. The scar on his face contorted as the cold sound echoed through the empty halls.

"Freyja Leto. Luke loved you." Kronos called, trying to get inside Freyja's head. It was working, despite the young goddess not wanting to admit it. "His love and need to keep you and the girl safe kept him obedient to me. Thank you, for that." 

Freyja glared, as Percy tightened his grip on his older sister, who seemed to be torn between wanting to cry or wanting to kill the man in front of them. 

Percy raised Riptide, but Freyja grabbed his hand.

"It won't work. He's got the Curse of Achilles, swords won't harm him now." Freyja said, as one of the telkhines handed Kronos a large scythe, made out of the sword that Luke had used to fight Freyja seemingly hours (yet possibly days) earlier.

"Ah...much better." Kronos began to swing the scythe around, and Freyja didn't really want to try her luck by going up against a Titan, especially one that was a lot more powerful than she was. She was only a young goddess. "Backbiter, Luke called it. An appropriate name. Now that it is reformed completely, it shall indeed bite back."

"What have you done to Luke?" Percy asked in horror, as Freyja waited to see whether or not Kronos would confirm what she had deduced on the ride here.

"He serves me with his whole being, as I require." Kronos raised his scythe. "The difference is, he loves you, Freyja Leto. I do not."

"That feeling is completely mutual." Freyja returned the comment, her eyes narrowing at the feeling of power thrumming through the palace. Her own body was responding to it, her powers calling out to demolish the building and everyone in it. "Percy, we have to go."

They tried to back up, running away though it felt like walking through glue. Their limbs moved slowly, and Freyja sighed. She unlocked the vault she kept her powers behind, allowing a limited amount of her Asgardian godly power to flow through her body, freeing her from Kronos' control. His powers kept a tight hold on her Greek ones, but the Norse side of her was unaffected.

Turning, she pulled her bow free, notched an arrow and shot.

"Ow!" Kronos yelped, but Freyja felt her heart stutter. It was Luke's voice that had cried out in pain. Kronos was tormenting the girl, knowing that Freyja wouldn't want to harm the man she loved. A tear fell down her cheek, as Freyja brushed it away swiftly. 

She couldn't be weak. She could not falter. The gods would not deem that acceptable of her.

"Freyja, come on!" Percy called, grabbing his sister by the hand and sprinting towards the others. Annabeth was watching Luke, who had thrown Freyja's arrow to the ground, with teary eyes.

Percy let Freyja go, grabbing Annabeth and dragging her into the tunnel, before Nico sealed the entrance up and they all began to ran. But Freyja was in a world of her own, trying to work out what was going to happen next. 

Hiya,

So, we're almost into the Last Olympian, I think there are three or four more chapters in the Battle of the Labyrinth book. I'm hyped for this to get further, because the ending has just been finalised and written. It's going to be a fun little bit of angst.

Question of the Day ; If you were in the Maze Runner, what job would you have?

Let me know what you think,

Love Li xx