16| Crescendo

Soundtrack: Violin Sonata in A major, 8. Allegretto poco mosso by César Franck

The air was now chilly, announcing the eminent coming of Fall. The wind was still hot, however, last memory of the summer days that would soon be over. The sun was shining through the window of the conservatory practise room, small and hatched rays creating a multitude of glitters sparingly illuminating Victoria's focused expression.

"This bit is really tricky," she noticed, brows furrowed in concentration and eyes squinting at her score.

She played the difficult part in question one more time, teeth nudging her lower lip and fingers clutched around her bow, sending it flying against the strings. She missed, letting out a discouraged sigh, before trying again, letting the notes come out of her instrument with even more intention than before. This time her fingers glided through; the notes effortless. She smiled a bit, proud that she could pull it off. Now she just needed to play it at least twenty more times without stopping until the pattern of the notes would stick at the back of her head and she would be able to nail it in her sleep.

"I'll practise more this part by myself," she spoke to a Yoongi that wasn't listening at all, too busy looking at the way her throat was extended so that her chin would rest on her instrument.

Observing her practising was a guilty pleasure of his. There was something absolutely breathtaking in the way she would not let anything distract her, eyes sparkly and lips parted as she let her energy seep through her fingers to let out the most fantastic melodies.

"Yoongi?" she asked, bringing out the man out from his haze.

"Mmmh?" he let out, ungluing his eyes from her lips to look at her in the eyes.

She was serious, brows still creased in focus.

"You want to start from bar 293 again?"

The pianist nodded, looking down at his score, flipping pages around to find the right bar. Victoria almost didn't let him find the right spot, already signalling that she was starting. Yoongi had to rush the first four beats to catch up. As usual, she played with energy, her notes vibrant and strong as her fingers quickly found a perfect pace. However, she stopped after a moment, lips pressed in a thin line.

"I still think it could be better," she announced, scratching her forehead.

Yoongi shook his head.

"You're doing it again," he softly said.

"Doing again what?" she asked, eyes still on her partition, fingers mimicking the complicated passage one more time on the neck of her instrument, the strings silent without the strokes of her bow.

"You're stressing yourself out for no reason."

They were leaving for the United State in a week and the competition was a week after that. As the dreaded day approached, Victoria tended to spiral in a loop of anxiousness, and the pianist took it as his personal mission to stop her from doing precisely that. The girl sighed, not meeting his gaze. Yoongi wondered what she was thinking as she suddenly looked through the window, a bit melancholic despite the raging sun outside.

Her phone rang and she walked to the hooks on the wall, digging in her beige trench coat pocket for her cellphone.

"It's my parents, I should pick up," she revealed before dropping her violin on top of the piano and opening the door, walking outside to have some privacy.

Yoongi nodded, looking at her leave before locking his gaze on the outside view, letting out a long, tired sigh, hands scraping the back of his neck.