[ 28 ]

A/N: If you would like, you can play the song I linked above [It's You by Zayn] while reading this scene as they play it during the dance!

- - -

- Noor's POV -

"Cue the music!" Says the host as the beat slowly slowly begins, the gentle drums playing out.

Yasir guides my hands to his shoulders, then resting his on my hips.

"Do we have to do this?" I ask again.

This time he doesn't answer me but he slowly moves to the rhythm. It's not much, but our bodies naturally sway together with tune of the song.

I look around in panic thinking my parents are watching but they're nowhere in sight. In fact, there's barely any of the older adults nearby.

Maybe that's why Ayesha said Mr. Khan has taken care of it.

"Did you find Nadira?" I shouldn't ask, I literally don't care.

But I do, I do care. I hope his answer is that he didn't find her. I hope he couldn't console her. I hope he couldn't explain it to her.

"I did." He answers flatly.

Did you comfort her? Did you hold her to calm her? Did you kiss her to make her heart flutter? Does her heart even flutter at the thought of you?

I wanted to ask so many questions but I'd sound jealous. I'm not trying to sound jealous.

"Oh. Is she okay?" I don't care about her wellbeing. But I want him to tell me what he did to comfort her.

"Shahid took care of it." There's a hint of bitterness in his tone.

My heart swells up at the thought that I'll have to think like this for the entirety of our marriage.

I'll always be wondering what he's doing with her, if he's holding like the way he should hold me, if he's laughing with her the way he should laugh with me, if he's touching her the way he should touch me...

I rest my head on his chest, not being able to hold the weight of my thoughts up. I can tell it took him by surprise because stiffens first a moment before loosening up again.

The slow and sure beating of drums came in, then the piano mingled with the guitar as the chorus of the song begins.

"And I can't tell you why // Because my brain can't equate it // Tell me your lies // Because I just can't face it."

"Such an odd song to have a newly engaged couple to dance to, don't you think?" I whisper, more to myself than him. "It's so... sad."

"Mhm." He agrees, the vibration of his voice makes my heart jump a little.

"It's you, it's you // It's you // It's you, it's you // It's you."

I think I love him.

Excuse me? I ask myself. Can you repeat yourself, Noor Malik? Have you gone insane?

When he holds my hand, there's nothing but warmth in my heart. When he speaks softly to me, there's nothing but a flutter in my stomach. When he's upset, I can't stand it. When he's happy, my mood automatically elevates. The smallest bit of affection from him makes me feel whole.