Chapter Sixteen

Colt wondered if he was going to be able to have a few moments for himself and his thoughts, because after Aurora had walked away from him, he was soon joined by Peia once again. 

"I'm not going to guess what you're doing out in the hallway looking all mysterious," Peia said. 

"You're not?" Colt asked. 

"Skulking out here isn't going to get Aurora back," Peia told him. 

Colt just sighed. 

"I'm not trying to-" 

Peia gave him a knowing look. 

"Right, you're right. I am. She just says that I need to focus on myself, though, whatever that's supposed to mean," Colt stated. 

"I can answer that for you, Colt. She wants you to know that you have options in your life but that she is one of those unquestionable ones," Peia stated, "She'll come around," she said gently to him, then, as she winked before wandering past him. 

"Wait, Peia," Colt said to her, so the girl paused for a moment, moving her dark hair over one shoulder. 

"Yes, Colt?" she replied. 

"Thank you," he said with a kind smile, "It really does mean a lot," he stated. 

Besides that, it felt good to have cleared the air between the both of them, then. 

Peia headed on down the hall as it began to grow darker outside. She made sure to stop at Nova's room to check on how her friend was doing. 

Nova turned to her and smiled as she waved, signalling for Peia to join her. 

"Hey," Peia said. 

"Hello," Nova replied. 

She paused for a moment then, as she turned to Peia. 

"Are you okay? It looks as though something is on your mind," she told her. 

"I'm just thinking...about how we can love someone a lot but hurt them. I feel like that's what happened between Dana and I, anyway. Ultimately, I really did love her but I made her feel insecure. It's probably the worst thing that I've done to someone I love," Peia admitted. 

Nova just reached out then, to take Peia's hand in her own, and gave it a gentle squeeze. 

"Hey, trust yourself. You'll find a love that works out," she told her then, in an encouraging manner. 

Peia simply smiled back at her, glad for the words of kindness. 

The next day, about half an hour from the base, in the main urban city area, Lani Chadwick awoke with a start. She knew that she should be happy. After all, she was getting married to her new love, Jeremy Hall. Despite that, though, she had been having recurring nightmares about the incoming space craft and potential invasion of beings from the planet Tuldrox, and as such, she had felt a little more restless. If there was one thing that remained perfectly consistent in Lani's life, then it was that she cared about her family, that included blood and those that she had met later on. She had already lost her first husband in the war, and that sort of fear never truly left her. Regardless, she knew that she had to be strong for the man currently sleeping soundly beside her, and for her children, too. She hadn't been made magistrate of the scientific community for no reason. She was a strong person, and that would forever remain an indisputable fact. 

Meanwhile, in his own room, Albi Chadwick was only just beginning to get ready for the day ahead of him. He got out of bed and put a grey t-shirt and his prosthetic arm on, flexing it a little before he felt more comfortable. He then pulled a comb through his hair, that had lightened slightly in the sunlight to a more auburn colour, and smiled back at his reflection. He knew that today would be a good day. Why he did he know this? Well, he knew this because he was aware that his mother was currently tracking a space craft coming in from the planet of Tuldorx. Albi, of course, even though he was only just a child in his mother's eyes, had been tracking the space craft himself. Due to the new situation, he thought it incredibly likely that his mother would get in touch with his old friends Colt, Leo, Aurora and the others in order to gain assistance with such an event. He changed into some jeans and then headed down the hall and into the kitchen, where he poured himself a glass of orange juice, and then felt a little startled when he caught sight of his older sister, Thea, gazing at him with curiosity.