Chapter Thirty-Seven

By the time late evening had come around, candles had been lighted in Lani's memory. Each individual who stood outside in the forest to remember her knew that she was somebody who could never be forgotten. Lani had taken care of her children Thea and Albi for as long as she possibly could have, until her dying breath. Meanwhile, she had also taken in the extraterrestrials and allowed them to form their own society. She hadn't passed judgement on them. Sadly, in her later moments, she had to betray them as a way of protecting her immediate family, but the Galaver and Tuldroxi beings would not dwell on this. Instead, they chose to focus on what she accomplished as a brilliant scientist and mother. They were all aware that Lani would be with them, in their hearts, and they would stay strong for her. 

Tensions had been rising at the base since the reveal of information that there would be government officials and scientists investigating them. If they were discovered, many of them feared that they would be used for their abilities. Howeber, Aurora was trying to work alongside Dana to ensure that peace was kept around the sanctuary. She knew that worrying about such a situation wouldn't do any of them good. Instead, they had to just wait it out. 

All the while this was occurring, she had been trying to focus on her relationshop with Colt as best she could. She moved beside him as Thea said some words about her mother. 

"I think we can all agree that mom...Lani, was an incredible person. She would want us all to take care of each other now and be courageous against whatever comes our way," she said. 

Jeremy gave her an encouraging smile as she went on. 

"We will never forget you, Lani. You were a hero in the Galavers and Tuldroxi people's eyes alike, and you forever will be," she added, with a forced expression of happiness. 

She then moved away from the flower bed under which Lani had been buried, and went to stand beside Nova who took her hand in her own to give it a reassuring squeeze. 

Each of them laid flowers down then, and gifts that reminded them of her. 

While the others eventually said their final goodbyes, including Thea, Jeremy remained nearby. 

Mars watched him for a moment to ensure that he was okay. 

"Rest easy, love," he said, as he gently wiped away the tear that ran down his cheek. He felt heartbroken all over again, and honestly wasn't sure what to do. 

"You have to be strong for her," Mars said then, causing him to turn around. 

Jeremy gave him an expression that signaled his curiosity. 

"For Thea," Mars reminded him, "The girl needs you more than anything. She may not have often gotten along with you, however-" 

"I know, I know," Jeremy said then as he gestured his agreement. 

Mars tried to smile at him. In truth, he had never been the best with words. He had a great sense of empathy, of course, but he wasn't sure what to say to Jeremy in that moment. Besides the words he was thinking of, "Everything will turn out okay in the end," he said. 

"Do you believe so?" Jeremy asked. 

"Well, I was actually trying to lighten the mood. I'm not good at this," he stated. 

Peia soon wandered to his side to elbow him playfully. 

"What he means to say here is that, yes, Jeremy. Lani will be proud of you," she told him then, giving him a warm half-smile. It was still difficult to express happiness when such a solemn event had passed, but she tried her best to offer her reassurance against it all.