⠀⠀²¹ ending a story

˒⠀S O T T . . . 𝙲𝙰𝚁𝙳𝙸𝙸𝙰𝙲

●○○○○○○○○❛ 𝑾𝑬𝑳𝑪𝑶𝑴𝑬 TO THE 𝑭𝑰𝑵𝑨𝑳𝑺𝑯𝑶𝑾, 𝑯𝑶𝑷𝑬 YOU'RE WEARINGYOUR 𝑩𝑬𝑺𝑻 CLOTHES

●○○○○○○○○
❛ 𝑾𝑬𝑳𝑪𝑶𝑴𝑬 TO THE 𝑭𝑰𝑵𝑨𝑳
𝑺𝑯𝑶𝑾𝑯𝑶𝑷𝑬 YOU'RE WEARING
YOUR 𝑩𝑬𝑺𝑻 CLOTHES.

ending a story! ━━ no

ending a story! ━━ no. 021
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     THIS IS OFFICIALLY THE LAST CHAPTER OF ACT ONE FOR THIS BOOK! Given that, I can't think of a more appropriate topic to discuss for this section than how to end a story.

     Now, we all know that at some point, our stories have to reach an ultimate conclusion. They can't continue forever, despite how much we may want them to. At some point, it has to end, and writing the beginning of the end is a major source of writing anxiety for most authors.

     Endings are hard. It's never easy to say goodbye, and saying one final goodbye to a beloved story is especially hard. Once you finish the last chapter and close the book, as an author, a small piece of your heart is broken off and taken, never to be returned. The world and characters you've created have grown up, gone through Heaven and Hell, and hopefully survived their journey. A good thing can only remain good for so long until the time comes when it has to end. Nothing lasts forever and that is remarkably true for books.

     As an author myself, I maintain a love-hate relationship with ending stories. With some books, endings are hard. There's this innate and implicit pressure to get the endings of your stories just right and make sure you close all the doors in a resounding and comfortable manner. With others, endings are the best part because I can't wait to end the book and move on. (Sorry 𝐀𝐝𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮, but I honestly couldn't wait.)

     Before I get into how to end a story, I want to make something clear: you are the only one who ultimately decides how a story of yours ends. No one else. You.