⠀⠀²⁰ do's and don'ts

˒⠀S O T T . . . 𝙲𝙰𝚁𝙳𝙸𝙸𝙰𝙲

●○○○○○○○○❛ 𝑾𝑬𝑳𝑪𝑶𝑴𝑬 TO THE 𝑭𝑰𝑵𝑨𝑳𝑺𝑯𝑶𝑾, 𝑯𝑶𝑷𝑬 YOU'RE WEARINGYOUR 𝑩𝑬𝑺𝑻 CLOTHES

●○○○○○○○○
❛ 𝑾𝑬𝑳𝑪𝑶𝑴𝑬 TO THE 𝑭𝑰𝑵𝑨𝑳
𝑺𝑯𝑶𝑾, 𝑯𝑶𝑷𝑬 YOU'RE WEARING
YOUR 𝑩𝑬𝑺𝑻 CLOTHES.

do's and don'ts! ━━ no

do's and don'ts! ━━ no. 020
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     AS SOMEONE WHO'S BEEN ON WATTPAD FOR NEARLY A DECADE, I SUPPOSE YOU COULD SAY I'VE STUMBLED ACROSS MY FAIR SHARE OF THINGS YOU SHOULD AND SHOULD NOT DO IN A STORY. In other words, the do's and do not's of storytelling and writing.

     𝐃𝐈𝐒𝐂𝐋𝐀𝐈𝐌𝐄𝐑: These are all my own opinions and do's and don'ts. (They are also inspired by the research I have done in my free time and what I have learned.) These aren't targeted at anyone specific and are meant to be helpful in any way possible! Just as I'm pointing out all of these "do nots," I am aware that I have done these things and may continue to, but that's part of the journey. We are all growing in our writing, and mistakes are allowed to be made.

DON'TS

     𝟎𝟏. Don't use extensive vocabulary for no reason. Using big words does not make you a bigger and better writer. I will admit I have done this in the past and do my best not to do it now in inappropriate situations. Sure, using a wider range of vocabulary to sound more intelligent can be clever and helpful and make your writing appear superior, in a sense. However, if you use a big vocabulary excessively, people will notice, making your writing appear amateur.

     One of the most important things to keep in mind is that when you're writing a book, you need to know your target audience and write according to their reading level. If you use a word that they are unlikely to recognize or are rarely used by the everyday person, the usage of that word will only serve as a way to confuse them.