Part 14

"Are you hungry, Lou?" William asks while slowly driving his car out of the school. His eyes are fully focused on the road.

"No. I'm fine." I'm actually still wondering whether he's angered by the previous event.

"Alright. Then we can go look for present first and have dinner afterwards."

I just nod. I totally forget about the plan to buy present for Jess' birthday. My mind seems to be too busy trying to figure out what William is currently feeling.

"Is something wrong, Baby?" I guess I've been unusually silent until he asks.

"No. It's just... Are you mad at me?" I dare myself asking.

He glances at me and asks back in a nonchalant tone. "Is there something I should be mad about?"

I get a little nervous as my question is being replied with another question. Now I understand why William hates it. "I don't know. Uh... Maybe about helping Tim. You didn't approve what I had done, did you?"

William chuckles at my guessing. "You're right. I didn't. But don't worry. I'm not mad at you since you already admitted that you're wrong and you didn't insist on continuing to meddle in their problem."

I see. Had I decided to stay when William asked us to go home, he would be furious by now. Feeling eased, I exhale the air that I don't realize holding while waiting for his answer. But that doesn't mean I have forgotten about Tim. I'm still worried about him.

"And don't worry," William adds as if he can read my mind, "Ethan isn't gonna continue whatever he was doing. I saw him leaving when we're about to get in the car. So, I guess he left after we did."

"Wh- He did? Are you sure?" I try to tone down my obvious excitement. I don't want to irritate my boyfriend by being too enthusiastic about someone else. But I hope he's telling the truth.

"Be careful with your question, Baby." He reprimands me in an instant, with his eyes still focusing on the road ahead. "I'm not a liar."

Realizing the mistake in my choice of words, I quickly apologize. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that."

He allows an approving smile to curve on his handsome face. "Don't you feel curious as to why I let you know that Tim is alright now?"

I nod in positive. "May I know why? I thought you dislike him so much that you don't want us to talk about him."

"I hate him, yes. But what I hate more is when your attention got distracted in my presence. And you know this, Lou. That's why I have to do something to eliminate the distraction."

Another reprimand. I guess I've made too many mistakes today. And somehow, William is still being so patient and forgiving that he does not get mad at me this time. "I'm sor-"