Ch. 6 Skepticism

"I'm so bored." Kayla sighed as she was leaning on the counter. I look over at her as I was putting money into the cash register.

I look around the Cafe as there wasn't that many people here. It was another slow day, which we've been having them lately now and I couldn't understand why.

It was Friday, which meant tomorrow Ayden would be coming down. I honestly couldn't wait to hang out with him and Jamie. I miss them too much and facetiming sometimes isn't enough.

"How are you actually calm?" I look over to see Kayla looking at me.

"Huh?"

She looks around before looking back at me. "You don't get bored of this place?" I shook my head as she does the same. "How long have you been working here?"

"Two years."

Raising her eyebrows, she seemed surprised. "Really?" I nod as she sighs. "Well damn. I'm surprised you haven't wanted to burn this shit to the ground.

Watching her for a moment, she starts laughing then shakes her head. "I'm joking of course."

Didn't seem that she was, but ok.

"I enjoy it."

She looks at me for a moment. "I guess I'm not used to this because I haven't really had a real job before." I watch as she leans over the counter and looks around. "I know you already know I have a criminal record." She looks at me and I shrug, not letting her know that Mitch told me.

"Anyways, I've been in and out of jail so much that I haven't really been able to find a job. It's hard when you have a record following you everywhere you go." She sighs. "Finding jobs is difficult and being an outcast is hard."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

She looks over at me for a moment. "I just recently moved here, so I have no friends. No family here. My money is cut short and this town is shit." She shrugs. "It's hard making it on your own, you know?"

I slowly nod, even though I don't know the first step into making it on my own. I never had to do that, which I can see know that Kayla and I are complete opposites.

Watching her for a moment, she traces the counter with her finger. I wanted to ask her something, but when I heard the door open my eyes shot over towards it and saw some more customers walking in.

After handling their order and everything, I watch Kayla wipe the counter down until she saw me watching her. "What?"

"Can I ask you why you have a criminal record?"

She looks at me for a moment before looking around. When she looks back at me, she smiles. "Sure. But it'll cost you." I furrowed my eyebrows as she chuckles.

"Let's hang out tonight." She grabbed a piece of paper and a pen as she started writing something down. I watch her for a moment before she hands it to me.

It was her number.

I look at her in a way that I wasn't sure if I heard her correctly. She must have seen the way I was looking because she laughs. "Just as friends.. look, I'm sorry about yesterday. I was a little pushy and I apologize."

"Um.. I have to see if I have any plans tonight." I place the paper in my pocket.

"Does hanging out with me bother you that bad?" She questions.

I gave her a confused look then shook my head. "No."

She smiles. "I get that a lot, so it wouldn't be the first time."