24. Tangled Threads

"Eishu, meri jaan try to understand. I will be home before you know."Uzair's voice reached her From the speaker.

She sighed heavily.

" I'm sorry. I shouldn't Complain in this hard time. I know working in the place of Atif bhai and handling it from the middle is tiring for you. I just.... wanted to share something very special with you." She spoke the last words in her heart.

"But anyway do try to wrap up things fast and come to me. I'm missing you."She continued at the end her voice heavy with emotions.

"I will and I'm missing you too. Take care of your self." She heard him before the call was disconnected.

Eishal palmed her stomach lovingly whilst Her eyes glistening with the tears of loneliness. She needed him there, with her. She wanted to share her biggest happiness with him and he deserved to know but she didn't want to ruin the moment by telling him over the call.

Uzair had to take over the project Atif was handling because of his father's critical condition. Since then it's been almost five months of Uzair's stay in Australia.

**********

Atif was either busy visiting hospital with his father , consoling his mother, taking care of the business or grieving on the loss he was supposed to face. Hadiya was there with him everywhere she thought he needed her.

Atif wouldn't say it loud but he knew he wouldn't have been able to stay sane if not for Hadiya's constant care, support and love.

"What doctor said about dad's condition?" She asked him, handing him his strong black coffee.

"Hmm, nothing much."He answered her shortly whilst sipping his coffee and typing something simultaneously.

Hadiya was going towards the door when he called her.

" Where are you going?" He asked her keeping the files and laptop aside.

"I need to take care of the dinner's left over" She said looking at him keenly. Usually he wouldn't speak anything or ask any questions to her unless it was very necessary for him to peak.

"Maid will do it in the morning . Come here." He gestured her and she nodded obediently.

Sitting beside him, she looked up to him quizzically.

"I'm sorry. I made your life miserable. The time of your life when you are supposed to enjoy without the care of world, here you are... literally baby sitting me...." He spoke ruefully holding her hand in his.

Hadiya has noticed that, Atif wasn't like himself anymore who wouldn't take anything too seriously.

The Atif she was witnessing after marriage was the, depressed, hopeless and wearied one.

"I'm happy where I'm and how I'm. Life is a test Atif and to pass it with distinction we need to stay strong and thankful with what we have." She spoke softly, looking into his eyes.

He was listening her attentively, caressing her palm with his thumb.

"We cannot grieve for the thing which hasn't happened yet. Instead of this sullen expression you always have, please do try to spend your time with mom and dad like you used to do before his disease. Why not make every moment beautiful you live. No one knows about the longevity of their life, life is too improbable for that. A complete healthy person end up dying in some sudden accidents." She took a long breath in. She wanted to talk it out with Atif. She couldn't see him destroying himself like this.

"Are you getting my point?" When Atif didn't say anything and kept looking at her without blinking, she asked him.

"Aren't you maturing too fast?" He asked her back, pinching her nose. A smile playing on his lips.

"Yes because my husband is becoming baby these days." She beamed at him seeing his smile for the first time after marriage.

Atif knew whatever she said was true. The remaining days of his father, he would make it the most beautiful days of his life. Indeed life is always untrustworthy so why would he waste it grieving on the thing which hasn't happened yet and waste the present moment.

"Is that so?"He asked her in a challenging tone.

She nodded with a bright smile.she was feeling light and happy seeing him act normally.

" I think I need to make you acknowledge about how much of a adult I am." He said leaning on her, fusing their smile into one.

*******

He came into his senses and looked at her, heavily breathing.

He knew she would have pushed him by now but held herself back because of his reaction from the other night.

He didn't want  their special moment to be based upon some compromise.

"Isra, open your eyes." He huskily whispered near her ear but instead of opening her eyes she closed them more tightly.

"If you don't want me to proceed further than please open your eyes." He said now his voice held hint of helplessness.

At that she abruptly opened her eyes and looked at him.

"Go to your room. Your doe like eyes aren't helping me much." He said and  slowly and steadily left her and turned towards the washroom.

She stood there for few minutes with a blank mind and when the haziness around her senses cleared, she felt heat creeping from her toe to hairline.

She hide her face in her palms while a shy smile broke on her lips.

"He isn't that innocent as people think of him." She whispered to herself and ran out of his room not before making sure the coast was clear.

He came out of the washroom after calming his  nerves down and as expected found the room empty.

I should do something to diminish this zalim distance between us.

She will go tomorrow.
I was at least able to see her face every morning on the breakfast table. Now what would I do?
I guess I should talk to dada jaan for rukhsati.

His thoughts roamed around her till the sleep consumed his ability to think.

Asslam-o-Alaikum and hello everyone

Hope you like it guys