Chapter 2

"How rude!" I muttered under my breath, appalled at how fast he got under my nerves. Who had imagined a first encounter like this? Who had predicted such impertinence? Who thought my impression of him would change so soon, so fast?

I remembered doing a background check when I had received a confirmation from the production house, unable to control my curiosity. His past endeavors had reflected the struggle behind the stardom, the value of hard work, the sincerity and his strong tenacity. An immense amount of respect had filled my heart, wondering how he found the courage and passion from. How was he so focused on his work to not have deviated in any wrong direction? The glamor and fame always brought a dark side; yet he had managed to keep all rumors under wraps, if there had been any in the first place. How on Earth was I supposed to know that the well respected Sumedh Mudgalkar would in reality be an obnoxious brat!

Now that I realized his true nature, I inwardly cursed myself and my fate, for troubling me with this living 'problem'. An instant worry surged through me. Regardless of what he thought, of what the production house thought, I had expectations to meet. Dreams to fulfill. Make Ma proud. Considering the anxiety in the pit of my stomach, I could swear spending every second with him would be nothing short of torture. How ironic was life; characters who couldn't live without each other were being portrayed by two people who couldn't stand each other.

"He's not always like this." Another baritone voice, somewhat deeper than the person I started to share enmity with, spoke, making me turn on my heel.

This stranger's figure was as bulky as his was lean. His muscles bulged out of his sky blue tee paired with denim jeans with an amicable smile on his face.

When I frowned, he clarified, "I'm Basant a.k.a Balram."

"So you're playing his brother." I chided with a contorted look, lightly crossing my arms.

"It's okay to utter his name, as you say." Basant imitated my tone, a slight grin forming on his face.

"His name doesn't need to be referred to." I spat back, annoyed at him for ruining my mood.

"I'm Mallika, by the way. I play--"

"Radha. I'm aware." His grin widened into a bright smile as he completed.

"I'm sorry about the way I acted. I'm not always like this." I clarified, attempting at a smile.

"It's okay. That's the kind of effect he has on everyone." I looked up at him in bewilderment.

"You mean, Sumedh likes to pester everyone?"

"And I thought we had banned his name." Basant smirked, making me flush in embarrassment. I joined him in his chuckles as we continued our light-hearted conversation.

"He's not always like this." Basant repeated, catching my attention.

"How are you so sure?" I asked, almost immediately.

"Well, I've only known him for a few days longer than you, but I can say that he isn't this arrogant all the time. Sumedh's just a little moody, doesn't open up to people too much."

"Too much? I doubt if he opens up at all." I chastised, looking in the direction he had disappeared.

"That's Sumedh. Maybe you could bring a change in him." His eyes sparkled with newfound hope.

I cast him a look, catching his optimistic tone. With a sigh I answered, "I'm no different than any of you, Basant. And considering his nature, I don't think anyone can change him. He's beyond repair."