Chapter 10

No sooner had we exchanged goodbyes at the airport had I taken the next taxi back home. I was exhausted, to say the least. Mentally so, because of internal turmoil within me. Fear of sitting in airplanes. Hesitation of letting anyone else know. And queasiness for perhaps giving away too much in front of Sumedh. It felt different, like the slight fluttering of butterflies being subdued by a ton of bricks. It felt new, yet dreadful. Something about the green-eyed man screamed danger, and yet beckoned out to me all the same.

I always had my emotions in control. Why did this absurd feeling suddenly start to dominate the familiar ones?

Brushing these thoughts away with a shake of head, I smiled as I saw our apartment in the near vicinity, eager to share all my adventures with my mom. So I skipped my way through the residential complex, humming a tune I probably heard on set before unlocking the door to our apartment with the spare key I had, only to be welcomed by a set of bickering.

"Dad?" I called out in surprise at her unannounced presence. He turned towards me, his grey hair a mess, his shirt disheveled as his eyebrows piqued in interest. I reciprocated his frown, waiting for him to say something.

"Mallika, you're home!" His demeanor changed instantly, the shock covered by a tone of excitement.

I walked into his embrace, wondering what had caused a change in attitude? Had my prayers finally been answered?

I looked beyond him to find my mother slightly shaking her head in fear, warning me of something I couldn't decipher.

"And you are too. How come?" I relayed back to my father.

"I found out about your trip to U.P." He insinuated when I corrected, "It was an official trip, Dad. Promotional events for the show."

"Of course. I just wanted to know how you were doing." His eyes softened for a second, the wrinkles on the corners giving way to a youth I had barely seen.

Oh, how much had I yearned for these words. How much had I longed for my father's presence in my life again.

"Really?" I confirmed because I couldn't believe what I was hearing. As if a distant dream was finally attainable, just within reach of my fingertips.

He rested his hands on my shoulders before reassuring, "Yes."

It was true. The father I had lost years ago was finally returning.

"I've got a lot to share with you, Dad." I whispered under my breath, not wanting even my voice to ruin this precious moment.

"I know you do." He managed a weak smile while I tilted my head in empathy. My heart surged with a feeling I identified too well. Love. Belongingness.

I knew I was positively anxious for a reason. This was it. This was the moment I would get my happy family back.

I took his hand in my own, turning towards my room when he stopped, "What's wrong, Dad?"

He deliberated before saying, "I really want to hear everything about you right now, but I've got a few meetings that can't be avoided."

I frowned at his explanation, knowing it to be a common excuse for as long as I could remember.

But then he said something I had never heard. He promised, "How about dinner tonight? You and me? We'll catch up then, how does that sound?"

I clutched his hand tightly, scared I'd lose him again if I left it. Biting my lip to prevent the tears from brimming, I nodded with a smile, "Perfect."

Gosh, that felt too good to hear.

----------

"I'll be back by night, Ma." I called out to my mother, balancing a mug of coffee in one hand and scripts for today's shoot in the other, the satchel slowly slipping down my shoulder.