Chapter 9

Sumedh Mudgalkar would've made a great tour guide if not an actor.

The last few days proved this statement of mine correct as we toured around various cities in Uttar Pradesh. While the media press was expected to follow us around, interviewing us as we partook in different activities, he made sure my nerves were calm the whole way through. Each time a camera zoomed in on us, he'd gently wrap his hand around mine in assurance. Every time an interviewer asked us a bizarre question or came up with a strange request, he'd whisper into my ears just what I needed to hear. Each time a long moment of silence descended upon us as we toured around the sacred temples or cultural heritage spots, he'd prompt me with a small talk. He'd share his views after asking me for mine.

It was a version of him that took my breath away.

Now that I reclined in my seat on our flight back to Mumbai, his behavior came to my attention again. Maybe he had wanted to calm his frazzled nerves down as well. Maybe he needed the assurance my smile gave to him each time he clutched my hand. He didn't do well with crowds, I knew. Maybe he didn't cope well with silences either. Which is why he prompted me for small talk every now and then.

Was he giving protection or seeking it from me?

I didn't realize the wrinkles on my forehead until the intruder of my thoughts pointed it out, settling himself on the seat next to mine.

When I shook my head in response, he commented, "What were the odds that we'd get seats next to each other again?"

I chuckled lightly before answering, "At least you're not as unbearable as you were on our way here."

"Oh, am I losing my charm as the ultimate brat like villain?" He feigned a shudder before chortling at his own joke.

Villain. Was this what he was trying to be all along?

Mathura wasn't the first place he gave me a night escapade in. He took me to secretive hideouts unknown to the world in every other city we visited. The lack of sleep wasn't something I regretted, but it did make me wonder how he always knew about such places. Was he trying to hide from reality by spending a few stolen moments in secrecy? If so, why did he take me too? Had I unknowingly tied myself to his bond of friendship? Was that him extending a hand towards me?

"Is that what you want to be? A villain?" I voiced one of the many raging questions swirling in my head.

He stiffened before fixating his orbs on mine, "It's better than being a hero. No expectations."

What was this man? How cruel had life been with him to have left him this ostracized? For some reason, I had this sudden urge to make it all go away. To replace the lines of wrinkles with a content smile on his face. To take away all his pain and shower him with happiness like he deserved.

So I maneuvered our conversation to a lighter note, "No wonder you had auditioned for the role of 'Ayan'."

He groaned at the mention while I began to smirk, "Who told you about that?"

"So it's true!" I guffawed at the confession, covering my mouth to suppress my laughter.

"Whatever." He frowned grumpily as I mocked, "Aww, is Sumedh Mudgalkar getting annoyed? How does it feel to be on the receiving end for once?"

"Miserable." He mumbled under his breath, making me laugh harder.

Once I composed myself, I pointed out, "It would've been really weird seeing you as the arrogant Ayan."

The air hostess's instructions played like a faint lull in the background when Sumedh smirked, "I thought you considered me arrogant."

"I did." I answered immediately, somewhat defensive. I then added as an afterthought, "But you're secretly a romantic too. It blends well with Krishn's character."

He raised his brows in amusement, much to my grimace, "Romantic?"

"Don't flatter yourself, I was just thinking from the casting director's perspective." I shrugged, finding ways to escape further embarrassment.

The embarrassment didn't leave my cheeks. Nor did the lingering smirk from his face.

----------

"A cup of coffee, please. Black." I asked the flight attendant and she handed me my order with a smile. When I turned my head, I found my co-star wearing an incredulous expression.

"What?" I asked in scrutiny.

"How much of that bitter liquid can you down at a time, woman?!"

"Just as much as you can swallow your sweetened cup of cardamom flavored drink." I raised my brow over to his cup of tea.

"Why do you need that much coffee anyways?" He asked grumpily, finding no comeback to my earlier dig.

"To fight off sleep. And because of its soothing aroma." I smiled in a daze, taking another sniff.

"You know, there's another way to fight off sleep. By sleeping." He contorted his face in disappointment as I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah well, you didn't let me have any of that these last few nights." My eyes widened at the innuendo as I facepalmed myself, "Oh God, that came out wrong."

He laughed, throwing his head back as he managed to say, "I'm not complaining."

I felt my cheeks redden as I shook my head blasphemously, "You're incorrigible!"

"Oh, unabashedly." He accepted it as a compliment as I rolled my eyes.

"You--" That's when I felt a familiar sense of pressure build up, felt the walls close around me. I let the darkness comfort me behind my closed eyelids, finding my hands clutching the armrest as I continuously prayed.

"Mallika?" Sumedh asked in worry but I was incapable of forming any words. All I felt was the claustrophobia stifling me. All I imagined was my family who were slowly slipping away. All I wanted was a feeling of understanding rather than pity.

After all, which nineteen year-old would be afraid of landing?

"Hey." He prompted, taking my sufferably cold hand in his surprisingly warm ones.

I managed to open my eyes to his intense hazel green ones, "I-I'm fine. I-It's nothing r-really."

He rubbed slow circles on the palm of my hand, "It's okay. You're okay." He repeated the words in soothing whispers.

I waited for the flight to descend, a wait that turned out a lot less painful than it normally did.

Only when it started to taxi that I realized I had caught hold of his hand a little too tightly.

"I'm sorry." I apologized immediately, noticing the faint marks on his palm my hand had inflicted.

"Are you okay?" He asked instead, his gaze filled with concern.

"I am now." I confessed, shuddering at the intensity of its meaning.

Being around him felt good.

Maybe it felt too good to be true.

........................................................................

A/N:- Firstly, I'd like to apologize for the slight delay in updating. I hadn't been feeling quite well these past few days and have been piled up other work commitments too. So I'm really sorry.

Secondly, Chapter 8 and 9 have been short for a reason. It shows the slow realization Mallika is experiencing about Sumedh - that he might not be as bad as he shows to the world. In order to explain this gradual change in perceptions well, I decided to break it off into two chapters. The upcoming chapters will be longer, I promise.

I hope you liked this chapter! Do let me know through your votes and comments! :)

#KeepSpreadingTheSumellikaMagic!