Chapter 4

A/N:- This is a Sumellika FF but it'll revolve around Mallika's relationships with everyone else too. She has a deep backstory you all (as well as Sumedh) will find out soon. I hope the non-Sumellika parts don't bore you too much...and don't forget to review! :D

Without further ado, presenting to you the fourth chapter of 'Around You' 

...........................................................................

Consuming.

That was the power of one stare. I could bet on the fact that he was a charmer, anyone with a pair of eyes as alluring as his could manage to enchant more than half the female population, no doubt. His gaze had managed to hold me hostage, rendering the rest of the world in complete oblivion.

It was intimidating. Yet it made me feel safe.

Something about his orbs felt reassuring. Protective, even. That didn't treat me as an outsider, as a debutante in the industry I had chosen as my career. Something about the depth of his eyes promised to share every darkest secret, coaxed me to share every treacherous past of my own. Something about his hazel greens negated every stereotypical envy and replaced it with familiar positive happiness.

"Thank you..." I murmured unknowingly, expressing my gratitude for this moment. For this insight that has perhaps changed my perception of him.

He gazed further into my orbs, as if rummaging for an answer. An answer to a question I wasn't aware of. And yet I tried to relax, my shoulders sagging in indication, as I bared my soul to him. Willingly yet unconsciously. As if captivated by his gaze.

His fingers brushed over my knuckles before clasping them tightly, the coolness of his hand sending shivers down my back. I gulped at his response, letting a curious breath escape my lips as I wondered how I had allowed his charm to seep within me.

"Thank you." He repeated in response, his voice low and husky rippling through my insides.

His lips curved from one end, a genuine expression painted on his face. My brain went into overdrive thinking of reasons behind his acknowledgement.

Was it just out of formality? Or had I created a similar experience for him like he had for me? Had he felt the jitters, the electricity sizzling between us too?

"Mallika, Sumedh?" Basant's voice echoed in my ears as I retreated tersely, immediately missing the proximity between us.

I frowned to myself, my mind reprimanding my heart for feeling this way.

Sumedh cleared his throat and looked away, refusing to meet my gaze, and for a second I regretted being this vulnerable in front of him. He stiffened, the 'professionalism' marking its way back into his composure as he walked away. I watched him mutter something to Basant before striding towards his vanity van. My shoulders slumped in dejection as I rubbed my forehead in grimace. Finding a plastic chair astray a few steps away, I walked towards it, the anklets on my bare feet tinkling with each step. I sighed onto the chair, forgetting all mannerisms of etiquette as I shifted one leg over the other and hoped to clear my head.

"Hey." Basant voiced his presence with a concerned look as I tried to smile.

"Hi." I reciprocated meekly.

"You okay?" He asked the question I had been trying to avoid asking myself.

"Yeah, just tired, I guess." I attempted at an excuse.

His brows arched in scrutiny while his hands folded in front of his chest, clearly unconvinced with my answer.

Grabbing another chair, he sat in front of me, "You both seemed to be in a trance there." Basant pointed to where spot boys were now removing lights and cameras.