Chapter 6

A gust of wind touched my face as a smile broke across my lips. A sudden surge of positivity flooded through my insides as I heaved a deep breath. I could do this. I knew I could.

Opening my eyes I turned to my left and gasped at finding another pair of orbs fixated on mine. He jerked slightly, wrapping the back of his neck with his hand in coyness. I scrutinized my eyes at him before letting out a nervous giggle.

Standing up I extended a hand towards him, "Ready?"

His eyes shifted from mine to my outstretched hand before cracking a smile. A surreal sensation jolted through me as soon his hand touched mine, "Ready."

We stepped back in comfortable silence, with anticipated breaths and jingling anklets as the only sounds echoing in our ears.

I couldn't help catching another look at him, surprisingly feeling a little jittery this time. His face almost shined under the moonlight tonight, his brows furrowed slightly in thought, his eyes fixed on the rippling water surrounding us. His shoulders and hands moved in sync, as if rehearsing some dance move.

"What inspired you to dance, Sumedh?" I asked, ending our silence.

He stopped and turned towards me, a lingering smirk on his face as his brows arched, "How do you know I like to dance, Mallika?"

I looked ahead towards the end of the bridge and started walking again, finding him just a step behind, "I've done my research."

"So have I." His mischievous tone caught my attention as I groaned, "Oh no you haven't."

I opened my eyes to find him standing in front of me, his hands on his hips, his head tilted to one side, "Oh yes I have, specifically from YouTube."

I raised my hand in defence, "Look, that was something my friends put up just for fun."

"Oh yeah.." He agreed as he burst into chuckles.

"Stop it, Sumedh." I felt myself redden at his reaction.

"I can't help it, it was too funny." He continued to laugh, clutching his stomach with his hand while his head flew back.

"How come you researched me?" I asked with a raised brow and his laughs died out. Straightening himself, he took a step towards me until I could feel his cool breath on my face.

Boring his eyes into mine, Sumedh whispered, "I had to know what I was getting into."

"Yeah, right." I muttered icily, resuming our short journey to the conference room in the building over the bridge.

"What, you've got some other reason?" He fell into the step beside mine as he fixed the flute around his waist.

I shrugged simply, realizing that I had done my background research on him for the same reason - curiosity.

"You still haven't answered my question, by the way." I pointed out.

He stayed quiet, as if pondering upon my question. A long moment of silence prevailed between us, and for a second I thought he had crawled back into his arrogant facade.

I shifted my focus to the tinkling sounds of my anklets as we entered the conference building, the sudden brush of the air conditioner making me shudder. I found the rest of the team welcoming us, advising us to relax, reminding us to perform well and impersonate our roles just like we had on set.

I barely nodded, waiting for the anxiety to settle down when the main doors to the conference room opened. Flutters of camera shutters and murmurs of swarming media reached my ears as my breath hitched. I spoke words of wisdom to myself; words of motivation my mother normally showered me with.