Chapter 5

Clearly fate had different plans.

Or else it wouldn't have broken my resolve within the next few minutes.

In the next half an hour post the confrontation with my mom, I received an email notification from our director. Attached were flight tickets to Mathura, with a detailed itinerary planned out for three days worth of promotions; traveling around the state of Uttar Pradesh and finishing off with a press conference in Mumbai.

Before I could process all this new information, Ma had effortlessly packed a small suitcase for me, her words of advice faintly echoing in my ears. Before I could type a response to the email, details of my ride the next morning buzzed in an SMS. Before I could groan in exhaustion, I found myself sitting in a familiar black sedan car, avoiding the glance of a certain co-star as we made our way to the airport.

Awkward would be an understatement to describe the tension around us. Words craved to escape yet resolutions kept them tied. The emotional turmoil was too draining; my heart and mind constantly at war. The former wanted to start a normal conversation, like the way I normally am. And yet my brain retorted each time at the suggestion, reminding me of his obnoxious behavior ever since we met. He didn't deserve my attention, my mind boasted. And my heart fell a little more each time I gave into my mind.

Security checks went through smoothly but in a blur. I could faintly recall exchanging pleasantries with the main cast and the rest of the crew accompanying us. I felt on autopilot mode; updating my mom on WhatsApp, handing the airline counter my passport and other details, ordering a coffee yet not allowing its taste to fill my senses. Something felt uncannily wrong; as if not in place. Probably because I wasn't myself today; too engrossed in keeping myself in check.

Not once did my breath halt at the vision of hazel green orbs. Not once did a genuine smile cross my face. Not once did I let myself feel, because I knew if I did, it would be too much.

Fate had decided on testing my patience and willpower today; for I found myself sitting next to the one person I wanted to avoid the most on our flight to Mathura. Only this time, his stare over me refused to waver. I waited patiently for a few minutes, trying to focus on the flight attendant's redundant instructions rather than his prying gaze.

But the self-control snapped and I huffed exasperatedly at him soon enough, "What?!"

He straightened immediately, the flustered effect reaching his face a second before he looked away.

When he cleared his throat, I heard Sumedh's voice for the first time since yesterday, "So...Basant came up to me at the airport today."

I bit my lip in nervousness, wondering how much of our conversation had Basant told him.

"I'm glad we both are on the same page about keeping it strictly professional."

I silently let out a breath in relief and nodded wordlessly.

He continued, "Just to clarify, the feelings are mutual. Like you said, I can't imagine us being friends either. Not so much when it's so hard to tolerate you."

All the determination about avoiding him flew out the window as I faced him, my eyes spewing rage, "For a second, just for a second I thought I might be wrong about you. But thank you for clearing my doubts. All you know is how to be prejudiced about everyone, making presumptions about those who are only trying to be nice to you."

His lips had curved inwardly into a thin line, gritting through his teeth as he prepared his response. Only I cut him, "I'm surprised how Basant is friends with you. You're the intolerable one here."

Before he could retaliate, I resolved, "So let me make this easy for you." Pressing a button on the armrest, I waited with bated breaths as an airhostess approached me.