- XLIV -

"Harry!" A chorus of voices chimed as Steve, Bucky and Harry entered the room. Everyone hurried towards the door to greet them, and both super soldiers took a step back.

"Wow, I'm feeling the love," Bucky joked, his single arm finding its way around Steve's waist subconsciously.

"Oh hush now, we haven't seen him since the trial!" Caroline delivered a light slap against Bucky's chest, teasing him.

"Speaking of which, how did it go?" Beau asked, southern accent soft and caring. Anna joined him at his side, grasping his hand tightly.

Everyone in the group had known about the lawsuit, and when Steve and Bucky had canceled the group meeting last week, everyone had questioned why. Not wanting to lie to them, Steve informed everyone that the trial was taking place, and they needed to be with their team and Harry.

Harry couldn't contain the smile that spread across his face as he thought about the answer, about his home. But apparently, the smile was all everyone needed as an answer, and soon, everyone was cheering around him and coming up to him to congratulate him.

Steve watched as everyone gave Harry their best wishes and congratulations, some giving him hugs, others shaking his hand. He smiled at the thought that, as of a few months ago, Harry wouldn't even allow Tony to hug him without specifically requesting it or granting him permission. Now, he was openly accepting surprise hugs and was barely even flinching at the contact.

He was proud of how far the kid had come.

The rest of the meeting proceeded without any hiccups, and Harry was surprised at how fast the hour had gone when Steve announced that the meeting was drawing to a close. Remembering suddenly that he needed to talk to Caroline, Harry rose from his seat and hurried over to the kitchenette area where the woman was packing up some of the day's snacks.

"Hey Caroline," Harry smiled, but inside he was nervous. What if she didn't want to come work for him? What if she was offended that he would ask her to turn her life in a completely different direction?

But Peter's voice echoed in his head, with the words that he had told him while they were planning the bakery's open.

The worst thing that anyone will tell you is no.

Harry hadn't completely agreed with this, because after all of his shitty life experiences, he knew there were far worse things to be said than no. But in this case, he knew Peter was right. The worst thing Caroline would say to him is no thanks.

"Hey hon, how're you feeling?" She asked, stopping what she was doing and giving Harry her undivided attention.

"I'm alright, not too sore today," Harry replied. "And today's been a pretty good day."

Caroline knew about the physical pain, the nerve damage, the arthritis, the stiffness. But she also knew about the emotional pain. The mental pain that came from a long life of abuse.

"That's good to hear. I hope it stays that way for you- you deserve it," she gave him a genuine smile. "So what's up, buttercup?"

Harry couldn't help but chuckle. She always had short, silly lines that she used in everyday conversation that, if Harry tried to use, would sound stupid. But nonetheless, Harry loved them.

"Well, I had sort of a... business proposition," Harry began. He grabbed a water bottle from a bucket of ice on the counter, and motioned to a small table in the corner. Caroline grabbed her cup of coffee and followed him intently, curious about what the sixteen year old before her had to offer.

"Alright, let's hear it," she declared, taking her seat and resting her elbows on the table with the coffee mug warming her hands.

"I'm not sure if Steve or Bucky have mentioned it, but I'm opening up a bakery. My dad surprised me for my birthday, which was totally unexpected because I wasn't expecting any birthday gifts at all, much less a small business."

It Only Takes a SecondOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara