2. My hero

Emée's Point of View

I woke up to the sun rays lightening my face, it was still pretty early and I felt like my muscles all wanted me to go back to bed. I painfully got out of my warm sheets and went to the bathroom.

I took a hot shower and brushed my long brown hair to make it fall nicely in its natural curls on my shoulders. I hadn't prepared an outfit for this special day as I was too tired yesterday so I stood in front of my messy hangers, threatening to fall from all the clothes packed on them, with no clue.

The dress wasn't the easiest to choose as it had to look special but since we were going to walk in the woods, I had no interest in taking something that would be more of a wedding dress than a casual dress. At least, the color was chosen.

After looking through all the dresses I owned, I finally settled on a white knee-length one with puffed sleeves and a low back. It looked like it was going to be hot outside.

I took a quick breakfast as I saw people already running outside to prepare our walk in the forest. I finished packing my fruit salad and joined the crowd.

People were finishing to set up the decorations on the path that leads to the entrance of the woods, many flowers were put on the sides of the road and I could see some couples enjoying this idyllic atmosphere.

Right before the road was the place of the market where everything had been re-arranged to make it a beautiful banquet. Big tables with bouquets of flowers were aligned and angels, demons and heroes were putting their food on them for everyone to share. I spotted Paul who had a bit of trouble carrying a huge vegetable pie to his reserved spot on the table. His pie was famous and there was always some place left for his enormous creation.

"Here Paul, let me help you!" I said, taking a side of the plate.

"Oh thank you very much Emée, you're too sweet."

"So, what did you put inside, this year?" I asked.

"I went for the classics: leek, sweet pepper, tomatoes and some cheese." He said modestly when I knew that cutting the vegetables would have taken him at least a full day.

"It sounds delicious, I can't wait to taste it."

We suddenly heard the trumpets calling for us to gather on the place, King Rédi, Queens Vani and Bali were going to start talking and begin the celebrations. The crowd was growing on the marketplace, there was a little above 700 people. It was beautiful to see, all the angels in their best white attire, the demons were like colored clouds and the heroes were dressed impeccably with their most delicate ornaments on the shoulders.

"Heroes, Demons, Angels, welcome!" Announced a joyful King Rédi. The crowd answered with screams and applause.

Mother Vani continued: "Hello everyone, I hope you are all well. I would like to thank everyone who brought food for us today, I am looking forward to testing all of it! I hope you all enjoy the celebrations, take a walk in our scared forest and make our clans closer."

Everyone applauded while I was just nervous. I didn't really know a lot of people since I was mainly alone at work and the time I spent there didn't allow me to have spare activities. Since I wasn't really hungry I decided to take a walk in the woods by myself but before I could step outside the marketplace, I felt a hand grabbing my wrist and a familiar yet unwelcome voice say: "Leaving so soon, kissy girl?"

"Sébastien, fancy seeing you here!" I said with a bright smile. I looked at my arm, he hadn't let go.

"I see you've put your best dress, trying to impress one of those brainless heroes?" Heroes weren't the smartest people, that was true, but the way he spoke about other creatures as if they were below him never failed to disgust me.