10. Knowing you

Emée's Point of View

The incident had brought us closer, I was glad I had someone to spend my time with, especially since he was such a good company. And handsome too! completed my stupid brain.

I couldn't really allow myself to fall for a man like him. His status was obviously much higher than mine and as usual, apart from my gift, there was nothing special about me. It was hard to think that way because I had grown so attached to him. He made his presence essential, I didn't know how to live by myself anymore. He was everything I wasn't: social, gifted with his hands and I couldn't help but want to be a little more like him, that is if I ever hoped to make him interested in me.

As always, he had woken up before me today. The smell of breakfast was once again incredible, Léni always found many delicious things to eat in the forest. When I lived by myself, I ended up with food poisoning most of the time so I had grown my own vegetables instead. As if he had sensed me waking up, he said in a posh voice:

"Good morning, princess Emée." I could hear the smile in his voice and my heart felt weightless for a second at the name he had called me.

"Good morning, my Prince." I answered on the same tone. He shook his head and laughed.

"I am no Prince but I guess I could be a cook." He said jokingly. I had tried all of last night trying to guess what he did at the castle, even though I hadn't mentioned the ornament. There was no rational explanation as to why he had it if he wasn't a Prince but I was too afraid to ask because I didn't want to ruin the moment.

He put the food on the table while I washed myself. Not only was he a great cook but in the short span of two days, he had built another chair and repaired countless things.

"Thank you again for what you did for me Léni, I don't deserve it."

He turned around, probably confused as to why I was saying that in the middle of the conversation, completely off topic.

"You helped me a lot with the house and I don't think I would have survived without you." I said with a toothless smile.

Léni came to me and took my hands in his. I couldn't think whenever he did that. The smallest touches sent my senses to overdrive. My heart started beating loudly, I was completely engulfed in his indescribable scent and my hands were embarrassingly sweaty. He smelled of protection, that was such a weird thing to say but it was the only way I could explain the fact that my body was always attracted to his like a magnet. I looked at our hands because I was incapable of looking at him - or anyone - in the eyes. I knew he was looking at me, looking for my gaze but never forced me to turn to him and I was silently grateful.

"Emée my lovely Angel, I am not the one to thank. It is my duty to keep you safe, you're in danger because of me, I couldn't properly arrest that bastard of a demon and I will make sure nothing happens to you. I would risk my life for you, sweet Angel. Besides, it kind of his our home now." He put his hand on my scarlet cheek. His words affected me a lot and my heart certainly wasn't insensible to such sweet words said by a handsome man like him.

I raised my head to look at him in the eyes for once, meeting his brown orbs but once I dived in it, it was like I couldn't look away. I hadn't noticed how close we were, our chests were almost touching and our faces only separated by how tall he was compared to me.

Our moment was cut short by the sound of the pan hitting the ground. I jumped at the noise.

"I'll get that, sit down and eat." He said.

We sat down and started to eat. I wanted to break the silence so I asked him what I had been trying to guess for hours.

"Léni, what do you do for work?"