4. Finding her

Léni's Point of View

Sword on his throat, I led the demon through the forest to take him in Hero territory. It wasn't the first time Alexandre had tried to assault an Angel, those poor creatures were way too naive. I had inflicted him his scar on the spot last time, trying to save the girl, but it was much to my dismay as it couldn't be clearly seen by everyone. I had feared something like this would happen, since people weren't warned by the scar and Alexandre was a vicious demon, I had kept an eye on him. I didn't think he would try this during the celebrations of the Alderia though.

I was with two royal guards, King Rédi had assigned them to me because the word was starting to spread that I would be the next protector of the heroes' clan. I had been a trustworthy counselor for a very long time now and he always told me that I had the quality to think a judgement in the most objective way.

We attached Alexandre's hands on his back, this was going to be a long walk and I didn't want to raise my sword the whole way. The bastard had taken her to a very isolated place in the woods when most people were at the banquet. I asked one my men to warn King Rédi that we would come to the castle with an important case.

For half an hour, we walked. He didn't say a word and neither did we. He had become cleverer with experience, he knew that being silent was the only way to get in less trouble. At least he wasn't calling us brainless anymore. I just hoped we could see the King as soon as we arrived.

Once we got out of the forest, we were right next to the Heroes' castle. We had made sure not to pass through the city where we would have gotten unneeded curious stares.

The castle of the King was enormous. It was meant to show the power of justice and the importance of balance between the clans. The building was the oldest of the Alderia, every decision and judgement had been pronounced here. As the Kings and Queens had come and gone, it was modernized, making it a sort of giant open museum.

The purpose of it was also to be a refuge where any creature could come in to seek security and protection, because it was the heroes' goal.

We passed the high doors, made of hard dark wood and polished until they shined to correspond to the image of royalty. The entrance was grandiose with a staircase draped by a red carpet that led to the reception room where the King's throne was. The light came through stained-glass windows representing peace and justice between the three clans, making the room even more colorful.

The right wing of the castle was dedicated to the justice: every important judgment was thought and given there, that's basically where we used our intelligence. The muscles were useful in the left wing where we had training lessons, it was also where justice was given and if needed, a scar.

Two guards were posted at the entrance of every room because this place was as much filled with innocent people as it was by the worst creatures in the Alderia. The guards at the bottom of the stairs immediately recognized me and let me through the doors of the throne room. I felt bad for all those people who had to work the day of the celebrations but eh, I was one of them.

The throne room wasn't less impressive than the rest of the castle. It was a circular room with a sort of small platform with three stairs leading to the top where the King's throne was along with seats for the counselors. Tapestries were hanging all around the room on the walls, giving a kind of peaceful atmosphere despite the King's strict personality.

When we entered, the King was there waiting. He was wearing his royal clothes, a dark blue almost black suit with all of his ornaments. The King still had his crown from this morning, making his grey hair and beard even more impressive. He looked surprised by my sudden appearance and kind of pissed as well.

"Léni! What is causing so much trouble that it can't wait the end of the celebrations?" He asked with a booming voice. Most people were scared of his way of speaking but I had gotten used to it, it didn't affect me anymore.

"A recidivism, my King. Alexandre here has assaulted for the second time an Angel." I said, I was craving for justice to be done, such a precious creature didn't deserve the treatment given by Alexandre.

"Take him out of the room while we talk about it." Two guards took Alexandre outside. King Rédi sighed and said "Come closer."

I took a few steps towards him but didn't go up the few stairs leading to his throne.

"Léni, you can't make everything stop just for a case like this, it could have waited. I know you can't bear the sight of that demon but it's not a valid reason. Anyway, we're here now, tell me what happened." The King ordered.

"As you know, I've kept an eye on Alexandre ever since the first...incident. At the celebrations, he had a strange behavior and didn't go to the banquet but instead went in the woods contrary to everybody else. I didn't know he was following an Angel at that moment. He brought her in an isolated clearing, nearly in demon territory and tried to kiss her. She refused and screamed so we had to intervene." I didn't know why I was feeling such rage, I really wanted that Angel to be safe.

"Where is the Angel?" Asked King Rédi.

I hesitated and started to understand my mistake. "Hum... We didn't take her with us."

"Léni!" Rédi was furious. "How can you make such a stupid decision! You can't just come inside the castle with a man who has supposedly done something bad without bringing a solid witness, the victim of the crime furthermore!" He puffed and rubbed his hands on his face. "I wasn't expecting you to disappoint me like that... Did the girl make you lose your mind? You're going to release Alexandre. If you ever want him to get arrested you'll have to find solid proof."

"Yes my King." I answered. His anger was perfectly understandable, I had completely messed up and I had no way to find the girl. I needed to protect her because it looked like Rédi didn't care about her safety and the consequences of releasing the demon at all. I would have to investigate, starting with Alexandre.

"I will give you one day to find the girl, after that Alexandre will be free to roam over the Alderia." It was already late in the day, I barely had a chance!

"I'm going back to the celebrations. I'll let you take care of that issue." He added before leaving the room.

I left the throne room enraged, I needed revenge. I went down the stairs and saw Alexandre at the bottom, smirking. He knew he had won this time.

"You're free for now but don't be too hopeful, once I find the missing witness you'll be judged." I spat.

"Oh you mean the girl? That is if you find her before me, do you even know her name or where she works? I guess you don't need that you're the next King after all." He laughed. "Goodbye for now, Léni."

"Escort him in demon territory, Queen Bali will decide of his rights to move between territories." I said to a guard.

~~~~¤~~~~

The next day, I got out of the castle, and started to run towards the angel land. If Alexandre knew so much about her, I only had a few hours to find the girl before he did. Alexandre had connections in the demon royal court and was close to Queen Bali, it was only a matter of time until he had the authorization to return in angel territory.

It was starting to be late, I had ran all over the territory and my researches would be useless in the dark. I decided to go to the Queen's building because she knew her Angels well, even if I only had a small idea of how she looked.

I passed through the gates and noticed a small figure getting out of the castle. It was familiar but her head was low, preventing me from seeing her face. The closer I got, the more I knew it was her.

"Wait!" I screamed.