Chapter 1 - Alecx

HER

(Present)

I JUST FINISHED MY MORNING JOG. Waking up early and running three miles is my daily routine. I brewed a fresh pot of coffee in the kitchen before heading to the shower to get ready for work. As soon as I stepped out of the bathroom and changed to my work clothes, I heard my phone's familiar message tweet.

"Morning, Alecx! Don't forget, 8:00 am sharp in the Boardroom. Don't be late!" Carla texted.

Darn! I almost forgot that we have an urgent meeting today! I bet it is about the merger. I was planning to take my sweet time and enjoy my coffee instead of hurrying up to the office today.

Carla has been one of my closest friends since I moved to the city. Living in a busy, bustling place made me tough and resilient. I must adapt to this new world that I fearlessly entered 9 years ago. I struggled and worked my way up to be where I am right now - Lead Architect of one of the top architectural firms in the city.

Being a workaholic, it has been difficult for me to build friendships and nurture relationships. Carla has been my only friend that remained through all these times. We started together in the same firm and have been inseparable since then. She is like a sister I never had.

I poured fresh coffee in my tall travel mug and headed straight out my flat. My office is just 15 minutes away from my place which is very convenient. I always enjoy my morning walk to my work especially during this nice weather. Six months ago, I was still living on the other side of the city, and it would take me almost an hour to commute. I have to hustle with a lot of passengers in the train during morning rush hour.

My new flat is a bit more expensive, but I will never trade the comfort of the neighborhood location where I am right now. I love the nearby park, jogging trail, and the convenience of being near the stores whenever I need to buy something. It has been the best decision I made since I moved here in the city, and I will never regret it.

It is now half past seven and I still have time to sit and relax in my office when I arrive at work. Sweet! I can even call and say a quick "Hi" to my mom back home. Up to now, she still did not like the idea that I left.

I am the youngest and the only girl among three children. I was just 13 y/o when my dad and eldest brother, Vince, passed away in a boating accident. It broke our family tremendously. It took several years before my mom eventually got back on her feet, but I know she has never fully recovered from what happened.

My other brother, Paul, who was just 17 y/o then, was forced to grow up fast to help our family. He became my father figure and became very protective of me. We became very close, like two peas in a pod. So, it came as a shock to him when I suddenly left. He was not happy and kept pleading for me to return home. Eventually, after several months, he accepted the fact that I am not coming back.

Paul knows that I want my freedom, I want adventure. I have always wanted to explore different things. I am a dreamer. This almost did not happen because of HIM. It has been 9 years ago and that was the hardest decision I made, to leave HIM.