Chapter 26 - The Party

HER

TONIGHT IS MR. ARCHER'S BIRTHDAY PARTY. The week was a blur. I got absorbed with my work and finished everything, trying not to leave anything for Carla.  I told her she can email me in case there are questions with the materials we want to use for the hotel. The groundbreaking will be in a couple of weeks. This will be the first time I will not be around with a project I designed.

I was just waiting for Raffy to pick me up. I finished packing early since my flight is already tomorrow morning. I was able to buy gifts for Mom and Paul early this week.  I am excited to see their faces when they see them.  It is good that everything fit in just one luggage.  I do not want to bring a lot of baggages so it is not going to be a hassle to travel.

I did one last look on my reflection in the mirror. I chose to wear a long one shoulder black evening dress that complemented my curves. I matched it with a metallic silver, strappy sandals and a mini clutch silver purse. It is a formal party which will be held on Mr. Archer's upscale neighborhood in the Upper East Side.

I heard my phone buzzed and saw it was Raffy. He is already downstairs. He rented a chauffeured luxury car so we do not have a problem with parking although I am sure there will be valet when we get there.

"Wow, Alecx! You look stunning!" He said in admiration. I blushed with his remark. I complimented him back.  He looked handsome on his black suit and tie.  He flashed his boyish smile and kissed me on the cheek. 

There were already a lot of guests when we arrived in the party.  We wished Mr. Archer a Happy Birthday as soon as he welcomed us on the grand entrance of his home.  The moment we stepped inside, you can tell that most are from the upper class but Mr. Archer is very humble.  He always invites all his employees during his birthdays.  It has been a tradition so I saw a lot of co-workers and familiar faces from different departments.  All are dressed nicely. 

              We saw Carla and Jake about to go to the terrace but the moment they saw us, they turned around to meet us instead.  Carla looked amazing in her long burgundy gown while Jake was looking sharp with his black suit.   They already have wine glasses in their hands.  

            "Bes, you look gorgeous!"  I complimented her.  Carla did a full turn and tossed her hair.  I chuckled at her gesture.

           "You too, Alecx dear!  You and Raffy look like a great couple!" She winked at us.  Both me and Raffy grinned at her remark.  I held onto Raffy's arm and playfully leaned my head on his shoulder.  We got our glasses of wine, got some hors d' oeuvres and headed to our favorite spot on Mr. Archer's home which is the terrace. 

           It was a beautiful night.  The weather was perfect and we can see the breathtaking view of the skyline of Central Park and the dazzling lights of the tall buildings including the Empire State Building.

           We were enjoying our wine and savory appetizers.  I saw that Raffy had some sauce on the side of his mouth.  I chuckled, he probably loved the avocado-pesto BLT bites so much.  He looked at me wondering what's funny.  I turned towards him and held his face.  He was taken aback, surprised on what I was about to do.

           I grinned at him. "Relax! I am just wiping the sauce on your face.  Don't worry, I am not going to steal a kiss from you!"  He laughed at my remark.

           "There you go! You look handsome again."  I pinched his cheeks which made him flushed more.   He was already red from the wine and felt embarrassed when I did that gesture.  Suddenly, Carla, nudged me with her elbow on my right side.

           "Bes, look at your 3 o'clock position.  He has been watching you since a while ago."  Carla whispered to me.

            I followed the direction she told me.  I saw Tristan looking grimly on me and Raffy.  He probably saw what I just did.  I averted my gaze from him and held onto Raffy's arm.  I continued to tease him saying he is like a small child enjoying his ice cream treat.  He laughed and playfully hugged me towards him.   Carla suddenly motioned at me panicking.  I glanced and I saw Tristan and Sam coming towards us.  They looked like a celebrity couple.

           "Hi Guys!  Great seeing you all again!"  She said excited to see us.  She gave each and everyone a hug while Tristan just stood there with an expressionless face.  I felt so guilty.  I did not deserve that hug. 

If Sam only knew what I did, she would have slapped my face instead.  I do not think I can stay longer on this party. Even though we are in the balcony with the cool breeze around us, I felt like I am running out of air. Carla and Sam started chatting.  I got a reason to excuse myself and go to the ladies room.

            "You want me to accompany you?"  Raffy asked, always being a gentleman.  I shook my head to say no and gestured that I am okay.  I headed to the restroom and composed myself.  I felt like a complete fraud in front of Sam.  It is good I am leaving tomorrow and will not be seeing them.  I will come back once I know they finished all their business commitments here so our paths will not cross again.  Since Tristan arrived, fate has played tricks on us.  I will make sure Carla updates me when they go back home. 

             I let out a deep sigh.  We will probably just stay a couple of minutes and I will ask Raffy to bring me home.  I stepped out of the ladies room and walked in the hallway, when suddenly, I felt a hand grabbed my arm and I looked at who it was.  It was Tristan.