Chapter 5 - Destiny

HIM

(Flashback)

I ARRIVED EARLY IN THE OFFICE TODAY. I used the stairs this time and just passed the elevator after what happened yesterday. As soon as I reached the 5th floor and stepped out from the exit door, I saw Paul standing in front of my office.

"Mr. Montecarlo, can I speak with you in private?" He said. I opened the door in my office, and he followed me inside.

"What can I do for you, Mr. Rivera? I have a meeting at 8 A.M. so please make it brief."

"It's about last night, Sir. Alecx told me everything. Is it true that you're stalking her?" He asked.

I laughed hard at what he said. That girl is really something! "Mr. Rivera, I think your fiancée is making up stories. Yesterday was the very first time I met your fiancée." I said surprised.

"If you remember, she came here yesterday morning to see you. I met her first in the elevator. Then, I saw her again in the restaurant, she was the server that was assigned to me.

"It is not my fault that we bumped into each other twice in one day. I don't believe that's stalking." I told him sarcastically.

Paul replied seriously, "Sir, please leave her alone. I know you. I know your reputation. She's not that kind of girl."

"Why Mr. Rivera? What are you afraid of? Do you think I'm that desperate that I already know she's your fiancée and I'm still going to woo her?" I was irritated.

He flinched when I said the word fiancée. "And if I am really that desperate, what are you willing to do to fight for her, to keep her?" I continued trying to measure him up.

He was quiet and did not say a word. He let out a deep sigh and looked me straight in the eye.

"I respect you a lot, Mr. Montecarlo. I do not want a fight. All I ask of you is please... stay away from Alecx. Stay away from my sister."

"Sister?" I was surprised.

He nodded. A big smile suddenly flashed on my face and I think he noticed that.

"She was mad at you, so she thought the only way you'll leave her alone is if she says I am her fiancée. That is how clever and crazy she is. She can easily think of something, even absurd ideas like that, just to get out of a difficult situation and she always gets away with it." He replied.

"Smart girl, Huh!" He nodded again.

"Well, now that I know she is your sister, then, can I ask your permission to get to know her better?" I asked him politely.

"You told me a while ago that you know me, and you do not trust me. But I am telling you, why do you think I'm playing around? Why do you think I change girlfriends almost every month? Because I have not found anybody YET. Until I met your sister yesterday." He was listening intently to what I was saying.

I continued, "Mr. Rivera, this is just between the two of us and I hope it's not going to get out of this room. I'm a romantic. And meeting your sister twice yesterday, I believe it was destiny.

I usually take the stairs everyday but the first time I took the elevator yesterday, and there she was trying to open the elevator doors with her bare hands. I wasn't supposed to meet her at all, but she forced herself in that elevator." I said, trying to make a point.

"Last night, I finished my meeting late. I usually go home straight, but I don't know what made me decide to go to the Bistro. I deviated from my routine yesterday and that's the reason why I met your sister.

So, do you think it's fate? Do you think it is destiny? Did I finally meet my match?" I asked him.

"But Mr. Montecarlo, Alecx is just 18. She is about to graduate in two years. She has a bright future ahead of her."

"Mr. Rivera, I am not that old! Do I look like a dirty old man to you?" Paul chuckled at my remark.

"And please, call me Tristan. And can I call you Paul?" He smiled and nodded.

"All I'm asking is to give me a chance to get to know her better. And if this leads to something serious, I am going to take care of your sister. I can promise you that." I said sincerely.

Paul just looked at me, seeming not convinced. "You have to prove yourself, Tristan. You will have a hard time with Alecx."

"I will take my chances. So, does that mean you are fine with me courting your sister?" He just continued looking at me and did not say anything.

"Can I start tonight? I will pick her up from work and promise to bring her home safely. But please don't tell her that I already know she is your sister."

"Alecx will kill me if she learns about this! It's like I'm selling her soul to the devil!" Paul sounded very frustrated.

I laughed at that comparison. "I'm not the devil, Paul. I will prove that to you and your family. You can trust me." I extended my hand and gave him a firm handshake. I meant every word I said.

Paul let out a deep sigh and headed out. A smile is still plastered on my face the moment he left my office. She may be the ONE who can finally tame Tristan Montecarlo! I cannot wait to see that little vixen tonight....